Clone Disk and Make it Bootable?

I'd like to migrate to an SSD. Win7 x64 now on 1TB drive, but only 180GB used.
I'm testing this by migrating the system to a 320GB SATA Laptop drive, just to debug process while I'm waiting on my SSD.
Screenshots here:
http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/wi...ate%20to%20SSD

It's not going that well.
  1. Clone drive using Casper 6.0. But it would not boot.
  2. Used Bootsect.exe from Win7 install disk to fix boot partition. Looks like a success, but won't boot.
  3. Drive is seen in BIOS.
  4. After over an hour of copying the disk, I'd rather not start over. Just want to fix the boot record or whatever without reformatting the drive and starting over.
What is the problem? The BIOS reports something about BOOTMGR not found on the cloned disk. Was there something I needed to copy that Casper forgot?

Thanks,
ww
Answer
Answer
As I said, The goal is to leave those old Dell / Alienware blank and recovery partitions behind and clean up the disk. Are you saying that there is no way to adjust any booting mechanism in the drive to boot the new partition by itself?
The problem is that when you copy the bootloader, it is looking for 3 partitions on disk 0, and wants to boot from partition 3. Your new disk only has 1 partition.

If you want manually recreate the boot manager and it's options, you should set the drive as system, disconnect the 1tb drive, and then run BootRec.EXE from the install disk. Options include /FixMbr to create a new MBR table, /FixBoot to re-write a win7 boot sector, and /RebuildBcd to scan for installed OS's and compile the boot table.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2020 Views 37,070 Applies to: