Clicking sound on my computer windows 10 volume off still hear the sound how to get rid of it?

Tried  the  suggestions on the web by clicking  speaker getting sound box up  ect doesnt stop the clicking sounds . almost like someone is tapping the plastic on the computer .  if i do nothing it still clicks  make the sound really annoying . whats the deal computer work great ,window 10 updated  .volume down all the way still hear the clicking sound  so must be something else causing it . whats the answer people?  thanks
Hi rlb57

Is that sound definitely coming from your speakers, or could that be coming form a hardware component inside your PC?

Is this a constant or intermittent sound?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Oh oh ... that's not a good sound.

Put your ear close to the computer case ... does it seem like the sound is coming from inside the case? If so, you'll need to act quickly.

If you're lucky, some dirt has gotten caught in one of the cooling fans. You can take care of that by opening the case and blowing out the dust and debris that has collected there, paying special attention to the fans. A can of compressed air will be helpful.

Another possible source for that clicking is the case fan (or fans.) The case fan is built into the side or the top of the case. Computer manufacturers usually put in the cheapest case fans they can find, and after several years the lubrication goes away and the fan makes a rubbing sound that may be what you are hearing. Fortunately, replacing a case fan is easy (and they're just a few bucks.) Simply unscrew the old fan and screw in the new fan. The only 'trick' is to buy a new case fan that is the same diagonal measurement - measured screw to screw - as the existing fan.

The scariest reason for a clicking sound that comes from inside the computer case comes from a hard drive. A clicking sound that comes from the hard drive means that the actuator arms are starting to fail. You'll need to replace the hard drive immediately. In the meantime, backup often! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not affiliated in any way with Directly or their Independent Advisors.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

intermittant   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi rlb57

Are you using a PC or laptop?

If that is a PC, pull the side off and have a listen inside the casing to see if you can locate where that sound is coming from

Please do not put your hand inside the casing, there are spinning fans and the risk of an electric shock . . .

Pay particular attention to the fan(s) and hard drives, those are really the only components that could be making a ticking sound . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi rlb57

My name is Sarah Kong and I am an independent adviser that is here to try and help you with your issue.

Sounds like it's an internal sound... meaning coming from hardware.
What is the make and model of your PC?
If you reboot and NOT login do you still get the sound?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 11, 2024 Views 3,089 Applies to: