Clicking Desktop icon opens the wrong application

After the last Win 10 update a few days ago, when I click on an application Icon on the desktop, the application just above that icon opens, not the one I clicked on.  Example: the calculator icon is directly above the Quicken icon. When I click on the Quicken icon, the calculator pops up and Quicken program doesn't open. How can this be corrected? Thanks for your help!

Moved from: ( Windows / Windows 10 / Desktop, Start, & personalization / Desktop )

Hi Susan,

The issue may be caused by an improper Windows Update installation. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you perform a system restore. This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. In the Search box, type Control Panel and press Enter.
  2. On the upper-right window, under View by, click Category and select Large icons.
  3. Search Control Panel for Recovery.
  4. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  5. Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Let us know if the solution above works for you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2020 Views 251 Applies to: