Clean Windows 10 install interrupted now stuck on "Preparing" with error message "Windows Installation cannot Proceed"

I started a clean Windows 10 Pro install on my Dell Vostro Laptop which then freezed at 26%. The power then went off and as such I only now see this screen as per the image. This is also stuck in a loop, which I left on for over 10 hours with no change.     I can only access my computer now by starting up and entering the BIOS.  I also created a Windows Image Backup for drive C as well as a Media Creation Tool. I now need to know which is the best to use and how to proceed to recover my Windows 10 Pro clean installation.
Hi PaulNaylor -

I'm Jerico T., one of the Independent Advisor and a fellow Windows 10 user like you. I understand that you're having some issues right now, let us sort things out.

There might be some missing or corrupted system files on your computer. Let's try performing Custom Install, a process wherein you will reinstall windows (latest version) on your computer using an ISO file and once the setup is done, you can recover your personal data/files on Windows.old folder. If you wish to proceed, please click the link below and follow the steps provided.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Feel free to reach us back if you need further assistance.

Hope this help. Have a good day.

Thank you.
Jerico T.
Independent Advisor

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

r

Hello Jerico,

Thank you for your reply and advice. I do find it a bit complicated trying to understand the difference between, backups, creating systems image and media tools and don't know why Microsoft cannot simplify this process (as usually it's Microsoft that causes the problems in the first place, as in my case it was a straightforward Windows 10 update).

Having followed your advice, it took several attempts using the flash drive, each with different results (i.e. computer switching off while the process was underway, as well as the screen freezing up).  

Eventually after more than 12 or so attempts (following the correct process) I was able to bring up the Windows reinstall screen and from there I was able to get my laptop up and running again.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PaulNaylor -

Thank you for the detailed response. I see, I'm glad you're able to resolve your concern and I'm glad your computer is now working.

Regards,
Jerico T.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 2,917 Applies to: