chkdsk /f gives result of orphaned files

hi,  I ran chkdsk /f on my external HDD which was attached to a wifi router and I am using HDD on remote access and for internal LAN sharing of files too.  However,  I got problem with the HDD after running chkdsk /f function and it results saying there are 9 orphaned file and it tried to recover the files to original destination. I thought the problem was solved but in fact after a day or two,  the problem of HDD crashing again and make the router inaccessible until I disconnect the hdd.

I wonder if anyone knows how to delete the orphaned files or recover them to another location first and then delete them once and for all, I know some chargeable recovery softwares may help eg EaseUs but this is not free.  I would like to know if Microsoft can help or not.

Thanks

Anthony

You can try Hiren's BootCD PE. It' s has a lot of recovery tools and free to use.

https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

To run this, you must burn it into a USB and Boot from it by design.

After the PE boot, you may attach your external HD to your computer and run the recovery.

Since your hard disk already failed twice, I think you need to copy your data and replace a new one asap.

Hope it can help you

Best Regards,
Anthony

Disclaimer:
This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Anthony

If you ran Check Disk with the /F switch and it found orphaned files, you should run Check Disk with the /R switch, it will take much longer, but should resolve any errors on that drive . ..

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 27, 2024 Views 3,893 Applies to: