Chk Dsk error?

Hello, I recently ran a check disk command on my laptop because i thought heard the hard drive do something i've never heard.

(Just saying, I am 13 and I am not very experianced with computers and I do not really understand this kinda complex situation!)

...I think the chk dsk failed?

I don't really know what this all means, but I'm woried because it says "Segment 224573 is curupt." "Errors Found..." "...cannot continue in read-only mode."...

I know this is'nt the normal outcome because i did a check disk two days earlier...

I should also add i had a blue screen of death about a month ago, where i tryed to Refresh my PC but it said it could'nt because "the harddrive was locked". But recently i had that fixed, and in the end, i didn't have to refresh it.

I read a fourm where someone else said just do a chk dsk /f command, which i probobly should, but i'm really woried that it may not boot properly again because problem, or i could get a BSOD (Whitch would not be ideal because I'm traveling at the moment, and I'm not at home. I'm really scared that its a phisicle problem with the hard drive, but i don't think it is.

I have also done the quick command, 'Diskdrive get status', and it said the drive was ok but i don't know if it is?

I hope, if my hard disk is slowly dying, i can somehow clone it onto a new one, so it is as if nothing ever happend,

but is that possible?

But I do really want this not to be a big problem!! 

Please can someone please explain to me whats happend and what i should do?! 

:D Thanks

Edward C

Hello Edward,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with chkdsk error message: “Segment 224573 is corrupt, errors found: cannot continue in read only mode” on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

In order to understand the issue more clearly, I would request you to kindly provide me with the following information.

1. Did you make any specific changes on the system?

2. Since how long are you experiencing this issue?

I would suggest you to try following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run inbuilt Hardware and Device troubleshooter and check if it works. Follow the steps given below.

Note: If your computer is having problems with a recently installed device or other hardware, try using the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to fix the problem. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached to your computer was installed correctly.

1. Press Windows Key +R, type Control Panel.

2. Type troubleshooting in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.

3. Click on Hardware and Sound, click on Hardware and Devices.

4. Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue persists, please follow method 2

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try and follow the steps in the link given below and check if it helps.

How to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1 or Windows 8. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Regards
Jayant Gupta - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Jayant,

Thanks soo much for replying so soon, and i really apriciate your advice and willingness to help...

To awnser your questions,

No, i don't think i made andy changes to the system

and I've known this problem for 2 days, but it dose not affect me, I have just diagnosed a suspicious problem.

thanks for the options, its very useful to know how to do them.

I have tryed your first method, but i don't really know what the result meant;

"Hardware changes might have been detected"?

and I'm curently trying the seccond method...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Edward,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix this issue.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Regards
Jayant Gupta - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2023 Views 402 Applies to: