Chinese characters not displaying correctly

We just got a new computer with a fresh Windows 10 installed. When trying to install games from Chinese suppliers, we get the following image:

At first I thought it was a unicode issue but that doesn't seem to be it. Most searches bring me to this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020102/windows-10-update-kb4020102 . Downloaded the specific update for this only to be told it wasn't compatible with current windows installed. Any help?

Moved from: Windows 10 / Windows settings

|

Hi CurisoDiablo,

There are a few reasons why some characters are unidentified when installing or launching a game, like missing system files specific to the program, language package required by the program, or at times, newly released patches needed for the game to name a few. In order for me to have a better idea on your concern, I would like to know the following:

• To clarify, what is the current version and build installed on your computer?
    • You can have this checked by pressing the Windows button + R on your keyboard to open the Run box, then type winver and press Enter.
  • Do you get the same issue when installing other games on your Windows 10?
  • Have you tested if the issue is happening on other user profiles?
  • Are you able to successfully install the game but get the missing characters still?
  • What's the name of the game that you are trying to install?

In the meantime, I recommend that you keep your Windows 10 installed with the latest version and build. This is to ensure that previous issues would be addressed on your computer. If you don't receive any updates on your computer, running the Windows 10 Update Troubleshooter would be a good start in addressing this.

As for the unidentified characters, I would recommend that you install the appropriate language pack that you'll be needing. You can refer to this article in case you wish to add or change the language interface of your Windows 10. However, If you're able install the game, and you wish to only keep just the language of the game on your preferred language, then you might want to consider tweaking the settings inside the game, and ensure that the game is installed with the latest patch from the developer's game website.

Please don't hesitate to keep me posted, for me to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 2, 2021 Views 596 Applies to: