Changing My Power On Password

I have a HP dv7-6143cl laptop and I just recently upgraded to Windows 10. I know my Power On Password but want to change it as I recently had my laptop computer serviced. How do I do this and not loose any of my computer files or internet favorites? Seems like everything I read was about someone who forgot their Power On Password. Thanks for any help.

Mike in Ohio

Hi Michael,

As your concern is to disable the power on password on your HP device, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

You may also try with following methods:

• By removing CMOS battery
  • By using motherboard jumper
  • By using MS DOS command
  • By using software
  • By using Backdoor BIOS password

I suggest you to try to reset your BIOS by removing onboard battery and check if it helps:

• Shut down the operating system properly, then turn off the computer and any external devices, and disconnect the power cord from the power outlet.
  • Open up the computer case using a screw driver and locate the flat, circular and metallic CMOS battery. Look at the picture below.
  • Take out the CMOS battery and wait 10 – 25 minutes before putting it back in.
  • Plug everything back in, power up the computer.

Also, try to update the BIOS with the help of OEM and check if it helps.

BIOS Disclaimer:
Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.  

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of disabling the power on password feature for further assistance.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Deepika thanks for responding. However I do not want to "disable the power on password". Rather I want to change my existing password that I know. I thought it was going to be easier then taking out my battery. I thought there was a way to get to a screen to input my current password and then type in a new password. But perhaps I'm not asking the correct question. When I turn on my computer, it brings me to a screen where I need to type in my password before my computer will allow access to my files, email, internet and etc. So this isthe password I want to change when I first open up my computer. Also, I am using Windows 10. I'm not sure if this make a difference on my HP dv7-6143cl laptop. So any help would be appreciated as I'm somewhat knowledgeable about computers but not an expert. Thanks.

Mike

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2024 Views 1,427 Applies to: