Changing File/Folder Permissions on Windows 8.1

Hi,

• I am running Windows 8.1 Pro
  • I would like to change the 'Read Only' attribute of a folder, as well as the 'Read Only' attributes of all of its sub-folders and files.
  • Right-clicking on that folder in the file explorer, clicking 'Properties' and attempting to change the attribute from the dialog box that pops up doesn't work :(.
  • I also tried running the command  attrb -r +s 'c:\path\to\folder_with_wrong_attributes' form the command prompt (cmd run as administrator) to change the permission from 'read only' to 'system'. 
  •  The above command runs, but it doesn't give any indication of success: checking the 'properties' of the 'folder_with_wrong_attributes' reveals that it is still 'read only'

Can you please help resolve this issue.  (Doing things like changing file attributes shouldn't make for a frustrating, time-gobbling experience with an operating system.) 

Thanks in advance!

Answer
Answer

The folders are not actually read-only.  You can tell if the box is filled or checkmarked.  

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet: @CmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 28, 2024 Views 1,234 Applies to: