Change the default app to open pdf files from MS Edge to Adobe Acrobat DC Pro in Windows 11

When I go to Default Apps and try to change it from MS Edge to Adobe Acrobat DC Pro, it shows in the list of apps to change it to, but when I click on it and hit Set Default, nothing happens. It just remains as MS Edge. I tried going to the Properties of a .pdf file and change the Opens with app to Adobe, but the same thing happens, it still remains as MS Edge. When I open Adobe, I get the popup that asks me to Always open PDF in Adobe, I hit Yes and once again it does nothing. Is there another solution?

|
Answer
Answer

[Ref: Cannot associate .PDF with anything other than Microsoft Edge]

In the recent builds of Windows 10/11, the .pdf key is protected by the User Choice Protection Driver (UCPD.sys). However, the UCPD driver shouldn't stop you from changing the file associations via Open With or Default Apps.

Please try this:

Run these commands from an admin Command Prompt:

• sc.exe config UCPD start= disabled

• schtasks.exe /change /Disable /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\AppxDeploymentClient\UCPD velocity"

Reboot Windows and see if you can delete the .PDF registry key or change PDF associations via Default Apps or Open With.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ramesh, Windows Shell MVP 2003-2012.
If this post resolves your issue, pls mark it as an Answer.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 215 Applies to: