Change Primary Email on PC

Hello,

I set up my PC with one email, and I would like to change it to another but I do not know how. When I go into "Email and accounts" in settings and scroll down to accounts used by other apps, I am unable to remove the email address. It just says manage rather than remove.

Hi Penguins100, welcome to the Microsoft community, my name is Bruno Leonel, I am happy to help you.

I understand that you want to change your Microsoft account and login with a new email account. If this is not the case, I apologize and kindly ask you to provide some more details of what you are looking for. However, if that's what I'm thinking, below is a step-by-step guide to change your main Windows email account.

NOTE: Remembering that changing the email will create a new profile (a new default Windows account). Don't worry your files and folders will still be there.

Add new account

Press Windows + R keys, type: control userpasswords2 confirm with OK.
Click on the Add button and the screen below will appear.
Fill in the desired email address and click Next and then Finish.
After finishing, select the account and click on Properties, access the Group Membership tab and enable the admin permission, confirm with OK.
Log off and you can switch between email accounts.

Note: If you want to keep just one account, initially before removing it with the step below, back up the files you use, if you wish, so you don't lose your data.

To migrate your data and merge it into just one account, it will be necessary to copy it to the user you want.

In the admin user you created, press the Windows+R keys, type %systemdrive%\users and click OK. Check the folder of your previous user and click with the left mouse button, it may take a while to process the data, in a few minutes access to your files will be released, select the folders you want to move, to copy them press (CTRL +C), to cut them press (CTRL+X) and to paste press (CTRL+V) on your new user.

Remove Email Account

To remove the old Windows account, log in to the new account and then apply the step:
Press Windows + R keys, type control userpasswords2 and confirm with Enter.
The accounts you have in the system will be displayed, choose the account to be removed and click Remove. Confirm the removal click Apply and finally click OK.

If the answer helped in any way, please mark it as an answer, if your question has not been solved, please post again.

I hope I helped, see you later!
Bruno A. Leonel

35 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

See if this video guide helps you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Dc4aRUkWk

Let us know if this helps!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have the switch to local account button.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2024 Views 20,108 Applies to: