Change network and sharing from public to private in Windows 10

I tried changing from public to private in network and sharing and it is not working. Please help!!!

Thanks,

Bridgett 630

Hello Bridgett,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that you are unable to change the private network location from public to private.

Kindly provide us few more details on the below questions in order to understand the issue better.

1. Were you able to change the settings for the network profile in the first place?

2. What is the behavior that you actually observed when you restart the system after changing the status?

In order to change the Network Profile follow the below steps.

1. Press Windows key + R from the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.
  2. Type in gpedit and press enter to open the Group Policy management console.
  3. Navigate to the following location:
    Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Setting > Network List Manager Policies
  4. Double-click a network that you want to modify and select the Network Location tab.

However, if the above steps are also tested and does not hold good, follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter:

a)      Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b)      Click on Troubleshooting tab.

c)      Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d)      Select the Network Connections options from the list.

e)       Click Next to run the Troubleshooter.

Kindly reply on this with the required information and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have tried everything,  can someone from Microsoft connect to my  computer and fix it?

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not finding gpedit on Windows 10 Enterprise by default. It is easier to use these steps...

1.) Search for and run the desktop app Local Security Policy.

2.) Under the Security Settings list, tap on the Network List Manager Policies item.

3.) Under the Network Name column, find your local network. (It is probably called Network.)

4.) Double-tap on the Network.

5.) The Network Properties page appears.

6.) Tap on the Network Location tab.

7.) For the Location type, tap on the Private button.

8.) Tap on the OK button.

9.) Close the Local Security Policy app.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why was this even changed, without the user's knowledge or permission, and why has the process been made so convoluted and complicated?  This type of behaviour from Microsoft affects IT professionals like myself who need to work remotely.  Suddenly I cannot remote desktop to my work machine because Microsoft have decided to modify *my* machine without my knowledge or permission.  It makes both me and my company look incompetent in the eyes of our customers, so thanks a bunch for that.

Instead of messing around with other people's property without invitation, why don't you instead try *NOT* doing that?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here, here, I am an IT pro and am seeing this with client PCs all the time. I do not know why Windows 10 seems to continuously lose your private setting and set the network to public completely randomly.  This is clearly an issue in Windows 10 that needs addressing and a much easier way to change the network location.  Why can't you just have a link or button in network sharing centre that allows you to change it right there!??
Graham Sivill - Martley, Worcester. UK

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 25, 2023 Views 8,844 Applies to: