Change account from admin to standard

The PC I purchased has a Name entered for the Local Account Administrator (under Control Panel-User Accounts)

with options to change:

Account Name

Create a Password

Change the Account Type

Manage another account

Should I click/change Account Name and enter a new name for Local Account Administrator and then add a password?

Then set up a Standard Account?   If not, please advise how I set up PC for one person.

Thanks.

Help with preset Local Account Administrator- Original Title 

Hi,

To begin with, I would like to inform that in order for you to be able to make changes in your PC, you will require your local account to be an Admin account instead of a Standard one. Changing the account to a Standard account will disable your ability to make any changes to your computer.

If you still wish to create a Standard Local Account, I suggest that you navigate to Settings > Accounts > Family and other Users. Here select the current username and click on the Change Account Type button and select Standard. This will automatically change your account from Admin to Standard, and you will not require to change the username and password.

In the event that you wish to change the username and password, I suggest that you make changes to the above sited first and then change your account to a Standard one from and Admin account.

Hope this helps

Regards 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi and thanks.

I am new to Windows Accounts but understand I need to set up an Admin Account to make changes to PC and a Standard Account for everyday use.   Now I learned the Local Account must be the Administrator Account to make changes so this is my goal.  I am trying to determine if an Admin account has been previously set up on this PC.

Under Control Panel, User Accounts, Change Account Types, Remove User Accounts followed by

Windows10User

Local Account Administrator

How can I determine if an Administrator Account was setup previously?

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Look at Settings>Accounts>Your Email and Accounts to see what accounts you have.  One will necessarily be an Admin account because you must have that to set up the PC. 

I don't personally use a Standard account to operate because User Account Controls will prompt you if any changes are requested whether you use a Standard or Admin account.  The difference is that with a Standard account you must insert the Admin password to allow these changes.  This is unnecessarily bothersome to many users, since you're getting notified if changes are requested either way, so why need to put in an Admin password to approve what you are doing? 

But if you want another Standard account then follow How to Create a New Local User Account in Windows 10

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Under Settings>Accounts>Your Email and Accounts, I see

Windows10User

Local Administrator Account

Nothing else is set up.

Then when I click on "Sign in Options" under "Password" the following displays:

Your Account Doesn't Have a Password.  You must add a Password

Does this indicate that "Windows10User/Local Administrator Account" does not have a password

so I can go to Control Panel, User Accounts, Change Account Types, Remove User Accounts and change the name from Windows10User to another and add a password and now this will become my Administrator Account. 

Hope so and I won't bother with a Standard account either.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

As per the added information, The above account that you have configured is already an Admin account without password.

To begin with, the above steps that you wish to perform will delete the account, which lead to loss of data from the account and also if you do not have a user account, you may face issues while accessing the PC. If you wish to alter the credentials of the old account, you can navigate to Control Panel > User Account and change the account name, password, etc.

Once you have made the changes to the account, you will have to reboot the PC and check . Also this account will remain an admin account provided you do not alter the Change your Account Type option.

Hope this helps

Regards 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Local (not MS) accounts do not require a password. 

Are both accounts  available to Log On when you Start your PC?  If so then I'd choose the Admin account and attempt to change the name.  

The only reason it wouldn't change is if it's the Built-In Hidden Admin Account which has been unhidden, and should be re-hidden to use only for emergencies.

If Admin acct will change Name, then copy any files over from the Standard User Account in Explorer, test that all programs installed from Standard Account also work in Admin Account, then when sure you've got everything transferred to your new named Admin Account, delete the old Account in Settings>Accounts.  It will offer to put the User folders in a file on your desktop which  you can do and keep around for awhile in case anything turns up missing.

Windows MVP 2010-2020 (ret).
Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 14 years.
Please notify me in my articles' Comments if a tutorial link is outdated or ads intrude.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2020 Views 317 Applies to: