Capitals appearing when Caps Lock not on & issue with Shift Keys

Hi

I have an HP 15 Pavilion Laptop running Windows 10

I started having issue with shift keys on keyboard last week, but problem went away, so thought a glitch, yesterday issue came back after notebook had been working without issue.

Problem is as follows.

If i use either shift key in type in word, notepad, email even search I get zcvx,m?>  from then on any keys hit are shown in capital letters, to get lower case I have set set caps lock on, however a number of symbols are then inaccessible, such as full stop, / key, #for example which makes entering logons difficult.

I have added no new software prior to yesterday for well over 2 weeks, the last windows update was on 5 January 2018 Verson 1709 (KB4056892)

I have run sfc /scannow and DISM nothing found, tried Hard reset, reoved and installed keyboard drivers.

On screen keyboard works OK, but not really suitable for day to day use.

If I hit restart goes to recovery screen indicating I would have thought a Windows error tried start up repair option but is unable to repair problem.

I have tried an external wireless keyboard which works some of the time, but gives same problem from time to time, a restart usually fixes it with this keyboard.

Does anyone have any further suggestions before I go down the reset PC route, which will be a pain as will need to spend an amount of time installing all the programs again.

Martin

Question Info

Last updated April 2, 2020 Views 8,654 Applies to:
Hi Martin,

Since you're having problems with your keyboard, there are certain steps that you can do to troubleshoot this issue. Kindly follow the methods provided on this link and see if it resolves your concern.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

H Ar Rom,

Already tried most of what is suggested, walthru steps are differnt in Windows 10 by the way, so document out of date for that version of OS>

On troubleshooting of devices  get following  messages

The devices shown below have errors......

1. Doesn't have a driver - doesn't say which device

2. Unknkown Device - not a great help if unknown!!!

3/ I don't see my device listed

Click 1 it then says Troubleshooting couldn't identify problem. on report says:

Issues Found

Problem with PnP Devices, but fails to identify which device. - useless answer

Click 2 it says apply fix for this unknown device doesn't tell you what is has fixed but has update drivers for a device it doesn't knpw what it is, - bonkers

Click 3 it says Troubleshooter couldn't identify a problem - another pointless response

Bireiefly Troubleshooter has failed to identify the issues, it identifies an unknown device which which it appears to fix, yet it unknown and doesn't have a driver????

Guess Windows 10 strikes again!!!

Any more ideas on how to fix this issue?

Martin James

Frustrated Customer

Sorry this didn't help.

In that case, you can run the System File Check scan and DISM to troubleshoot software conflicts that may be causing the issue. Click this link and follow the steps provided.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ar Rom,

As indicated in my original post I have already run System File Check scan and DISM which showed nothing.

When I restart or shitdown I get the follwoing options

Continue - Exit and continue to Windows 10
Use a Device

Troubleshoot

Turn off your PC

To me this indicates that Windows 10 has found an error, but refuses to tell me what it is and gives me two further options if I press troubleshoot

Reset This PC
Advanced Options

The reset iptions only give 2 options one whether to keep files or remove them, both options remove installed programs, which means a massive amount of work in reinstalling them, which if notice from original post is what I am trying to avoid if at all possible

The advanced options give me

System Restore

System Image Recovery

Start Up Repair

Command Prompt
UEFI Firmware Settings

Start Up Settings

Have tried Start up Repair get message Start-Up Repar couldn't repair your PC, which again indicates there is am issue which has been recognised, but fails to tell me what the issue is.

From what I can see on a number of forums is that problem I have encountered is a common one, so suprised that MS have not sought to fix whatever is causing it.

A frustrated and increasingly annoyed customer

Martin James

Sorry this didn't help.

You can perform a clean boot to start Windows with minimal set of drivers. This will also help determine the error and what is causing the problem. Refer to this link on how to perform a clean boot.

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AR Rom,

no effect whatsoever, didn’t tell me what the problem was, still the fault plus a few extra ones such as randomly opening tabs in browsers,flashing text in browser line etc.

suspect that reset maybe the only option, never had these problems with Windows 7, if I have to reset this will be the third or fourth time I have had to do it to fit a fault in Microsoft OS which a number if people appear to have had.

A disgruntled customer

Martin James

Sorry this didn't help.

You can do a System Restore instead, to get Windows back to an earlier point in time when everything was working fine. The steps can be found on this link. Kindly refer to the article "Restore your PC to an earlier point in time".

Update us with the result.

Sorry this didn't help.