Can't turn on Windows Firewall in Windows 7

I have Windows 7 Home Premium.   I recently uninstalled McAfee and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials to be my virus protection.

Now, I cannot turn on my Windows Firewall. 

When I try to, I go to Control Panel>Windows Firewall and I get an option to use "Recommended Settings" but when I click on that, I get Error Code 0x80070424. I used Help and it told me to run Fix It, which I did. Then I get a note from Fix It that "Windows Firewall cannot be set as the default firewall. This problem may be occurring because of an existing Group Policy or because you are using the McAfee Firewall program. If you want to use Windows Firewall, exit this troubleshooter, uninstall the other firewall program, and then run this troubleshooter again."

I have already run the MCPR.exe uninstall program to completely uninstall McAfee.  I have no idea what to try next. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
Answer
Answer
With a little tweaking, this link solved my problem:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2011/12/27/error-code-0x80070424-with-windows-firewall-and-quot-base-filtering-engine-service-quot-not-available-in-services-database-list.aspx

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2019 Views 713 Applies to: