Can't send emails from a Mediacom email address over Mediacom IP address

I have been going round and round with Mediacom TotalCare (isn't that term an ironic term as they don't care at all) about not being able to send emails with my Mediacom email addresses over my Mediacom IP address.  I keep sending them the error messages that Outlook is giving back but they refuse to take any ownership of the problem and tell me to use their webmail (awkard, time consuming, and not efficient like my Outlook) or contact Microsoft as it is not their problem.

Outlook used to work just fine with Mediacom up until about a year ago.  Then I started having issues of not being able to send email with my Mediacom email addressess while connected to my Mediacom IP address.

If I search around and find a VPN address that works I can send my Mediacom emails through the VPN address.

I can send gmails from Outlook through my Mediacom IP address just fine.

I can send Mediacom emails through my Verizon service on my phone just fine but cannot send them when connected to my Mediacom wifi with my Mediacom IP address.

I have checked and all my settings are still correct according to Mediacom's recommended settings for Outlook and my cell phone.  

The error messages I get vary between "The server responded: 554 mc-obgw-5002a Mediacom I1S0jSRsTsjiL POL106 Connec" 

and 

"The server responded: 554 njtocomv01 Mediacom I19KjOme9TS0P POL106 Connectio"

and 

"The server responded: 554 njtocomv01 Mediacom HjkYjLnloTS0P POL106 Connection Rejected - see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/50.xx.xxx.xx ESMTP server not available".  (The 50.xx.xxx.xx--I blanked out part of my IP address since this is public)

Spamhaus does have my IP listed on a CBL list as a spammer but the test showed 4 episodes in the last 28 days and one of those was in the last 24 hours (which was impossible as my VPN has not been shut off for several days as that is the only way I can send any emails).  Plus what kind of a spammer would only send out 4 spams in 28 days?

When I talked with a Mediacom tech support person last year (over the phone) I told them about this Spamhaus error message and they checked my account and said they do not see any unusual activity that would lead them to believe that I am spamming anyone.  They also told me that Mediacom uses Spamhaus to cut down on spammers.  Tonight the worthless Mediacom Total Care denies that Mediacom uses Spamhaus.

My computer is clean.  I run Malware Bytes live.  Once a month I'll run an extra scan with one of the others like Spybot Search and Destroy, or Adaware, or AVG.  They all come back clean except for normal tracking cookies.  No virus, no trojans, no malware.

I can "unblock myself" on Spamhaus but it only works for a day or two then I go back on block.  I truely think this is a Mediacom problem but since Mediacom is absolutely no help and wants to pawn me off on Microsoft, here I am.  

I can send out gmails from Outlook over my Mediacom IP address just fine.

I can send out gmails from my cell phone over my Mediacom wifi just fine.

I can send out Mediacom emails over my Verizon server just fine.

I just cannot send out Mediacom emails over a Mediacom IP address at all.

I can receive all emails just fine over my Mediacom IP address.

I don't know what Mediacom has against Outlook but their only answer is to use their terrible webmail service.

Anyone know how to fix this or have a contact higher up in Mediacom that would be willing to help?

Thank you everyone in advance for your time,

Cindy

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same issue. I have been working with my computer guys and we cant find anything!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mediacom could care less to help. They keep saying it is a third party app problem (Microsoft or cell phone app etc). But it is NOT!  I can send from my gmail account just fine but not from any of my mediacom accounts. 

Mediacom subscribes to blocker services that randomly put Mediacom IP addresses on a block list. So i run a VPN most of the time, shutting it off long enough to send the email then turning it back on. But even then Spamhaus and Cloudfare will still occasionally put me back on the block list when i haven’t had the VPN off.  Spamhaus says their algorythm is not fool proof and they can make mistakes so we should ask our ISP to put our IP address in a whitelist. I tried asking Mediacom to do this but they refused even though they told me they do not see any suspicious activity coming from our IP address.

It is terrible we pay for a service and cant use it. But yet I get TONS of spam email from other Mediacom customers trying to pretend they are Mediacom and i need to follow the link in the email to upgrade my email account or they will shut me down. Mediacom does nothing to stop these phish emails from some of their other customers but yet wont help normal people like us out. I reported one Mediacom customer over 200 times as i was getting 6 emails a day from him pretending to be Mediacom. But it all went on deaf ears. Just like my pleas for help with not being able to send emails from my computer or my wifi via my cell phone. Their only answer is to use their terrible web interface email. That is not a long term solution!  

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree i have mediacom business and have the identical issues. I use static a ip address. we changed the address and within hours the new ip is on the list. We all use outlook mail here also we hate the web mail. We primarily use an outside email service that does work but being on the blacklist affects outgoing on that email also.  Our regular email activity triggers the spam list. we leave our machines all 24/7 with the email open and running. When were closed for the weekend no activity shows up. as soon as monday morning hits and we start using our email bam were back on the list. We have a sonicwall firewall and monitor all email traffic leaving my building. Nothing shows up . I have scanned all my machines and upgraded firmware but nothing has made any effect. I have had other issues with mediacom and they were no help. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you "get TONS of spam email from other Mediacom customers," it seems likely that spammers have taken advantage of what appears to be Mediacom's decision to not police its own customers.  Under such circumstances, it's not really surprising that organizations such as SpamHaus black flag IPs allocated to Mediacom.  Unfortunately, Mediacom customers who are not spammers get painted with the same broad brush.

From what you've written, this is neither an Outlook problem nor a Microsoft problem.  It's a Mediacom problem.  If I were you, I'd move to a different ISP.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I would LOVE to switch to another ISP provider but Mediacom is the ONLY provider where we live unless we want to go with satelite. I just eish Mediacom cared rnough to try and help out with this problem. 

If you "get TONS of spam email from other Mediacom customers," it seems likely that spammers have taken advantage of what appears to be Mediacom's decision to not police its own customers.  Under such circumstances, it's not really surprising that organizations such as SpamHaus black flag IPs allocated to Mediacom.  Unfortunately, Mediacom customers who are not spammers get painted with the same broad brush.

From what you've written, this is neither an Outlook problem nor a Microsoft problem.  It's a Mediacom problem.  If I were you, I'd move to a different ISP.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I wish there was a way we could all join together and shiw Mediacom we are not alone on this issue. When we call in separately they try to make us feel as if the problem is our email apps and they take no responsibility in fixing this issue. Maybe if we all called corporate on the same day they would listen to us?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ya i have had other issues with them over the years. One tech person will tell you something different than another. I am done trying to fix my issue. I will just use my free g mail account. I am 100% sure the issue is on there end but they will disagree. I might call again when i get some free time just for fun. I usually get right through because i am a business account. I know if you residential you will wait for a stupid amount of time on hold. I have been fighting this for at least 6 months.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please let us know if you get anywhere with them. The fact that you can mention all the rest of us with the same problem might help if you can go to Corporate with the problem, especially since you are a business account. When i mention I mention I can’t email a simple word document to a customer (I work from home) they try to guilt me into paying more for a business account to send an occasional attachment.  They told me i wouldn’t the problem if I had a business account. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Mediacom is the ONLY provider where we live unless we want to go with satelite.

I sympathize with you.  This is too often the case.  When an ISP is the only game in town, it doesn't have much incentive to provide proper service at a reasonable price.  About the only thing customers can do in such situations is complain to the government agency that has regulatory authority over the ISP, but that's a long, tough road with low likelihood of satisfaction.

Perhaps you can just migrate all of your email activity (or at least all of your outgoing email) to your Gmail account which, as you indicate, does not suffer from the same problem.  I realize that it's a problem -- sometimes quite significant -- to change email addresses, but more and more people are moving away from email provided by ISPs to access-independent email services like Gmail.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I primarily use an outside mail server other than mediacom. When i use mediacom it puts me on that list which in turn puts me on that blacklist and then it effects my mail email accounts that go through host gator. Gmail or hot mail is the only thing that seems ok but they are webmail based

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2024 Views 2,028 Applies to: