can't login with new local account

I just created a new local account  but can't login with it. I did this 2 months ago with no problem.

I get this error:

The User Profile Service failed the sign-in

User profile cannot be loaded

The method I used is:

1. Run

2. enter "control userpasswords2"

3. click "add"

4. select "local account"

it creates the account.

this is the only method I can find to create a new local user.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Palmer,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. We will help you in resolving the issue you are facing with.

Before assisting you further, I would like to ask you few questions related to your query.

How many user profiles are there on your PC?

Did you try to login in safe mode?

Check if you are able to login into your account using safe mode. To go to safe mode, follow the steps below:

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words Safe Mode appear at the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Step 1: Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift + Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.

Step 2: Click Troubleshoot, select Advanced options and click on Startup settings.

You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (depending on whether you think you’ll need the Internet).

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) (Applies to Windows 10 also):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-safe-mode

If you are not able to login into your account in safe mode, it means that the user profile you were trying to login is corrupted. Enable built in administrator by following the steps below, create a new user profile and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 1: Open a CMD window by right clicking on the Start icon, and selecting Command prompt (Admin).

Step 2: Type the following command: net user administrator /active:yes
Step 3: Login into the built in administrator user profile and create a new user profile with administrator privileges.

Step 4: Delete the corrupted user account from the built in administrator.

Step 5: Then lock your screen by pressing Windows key + L, and sign-in as the Administrator account.

Check if the issue persist and you can disable built in administrator account by typing the command: net user administrator /active:no in the Command prompt (Admin).

Refer to the link below to know more on “The user Profile Service failed the logon” (Applies to Windows 10 also):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947215

Hope this helps!

We are here to assist you with any issues pertaining to Windows. Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I see the problem here. I followed the REGEDIT procedure and THERE IS NO ProfileImagePath entry for the problem account (new account). Only existing working accounts.

The account creation process is NOT creating the ProfileImagePath entry.

I've used these three different methods to create a new account with equal results.

1. Run->control userpasswords2->add

2. Control panel->User Accounts->Manage another account->add a new user in PC settings

3. Settings->Accounts

Please help, thanks!

PS: I ran sfc /scannow and it found no corruption in the system files.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Could you try NETPLWIZ command > winlogo + R > then type  NETPLWIZ  you will be able to manage your account as soon you are administrator. See picture below

Goodluck

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I did that. What do I do once I see that screen? I do see my new account but still can not login to it without getting "user profile service failed..."

Is there a service in Services that I need to check on?

Thanks.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why don't you save all your files and folders then delete the account and create a new one with the same name?

Because if you see your account tha does mean you are login with another account , isn't it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've done that over and over. same results. This is not my main working acount, it works fine.

It's a new "visitor" account or an account for another family member that won't work. It has no files and folders since no one can log in to it in the first place.   My main account works fine, no point in messing with it. Also an "admin" account I created and the Windows official Administrator accounts work. I used to be able to do this but something went south.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem seems to be  that something goes bad during the new user/acct. creation process. For example no folders are created for the new user in Users folder. Therefor the "fix" where you transfer a known good account's user folders over to the new "bad" profile won't work because there is no new profile to copy to.

All solutions from MS or from Googling the issue (mostly the same) don't work since I do not see the folders or registry entries I'm supposed to see and edit, like with the regedit fix. I have no S-1-5 entries for my new account to edit. It's like I never went thru the "create new user"  process. But I can see the S-1-5 entries for existing working accounts.

If my system is corrupt, can I fix this from the original install disc without breaking any apps or settings? However, I ran sfc /scannow and it said all was fine, nothing corrupt.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have to delete again that account and use SFC/SCANNOW to check if some system files are not corrupted then restart your computer. When login use NETPLWIZ to create your user account and try it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok, I did that, no success.

sfc /scannow said the system is clean.

I created a new acct with a  bogus email addr (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) just something I made up and it won't let me login.

it never gave me a chance to create a password. said "I can't log you in right now, go to account.live.com  and fix the problem, but did not say how. I don't know what password to use because I  never specified one for  the temp  pretend user.

I went to account.live.com with my own real MS acct log-in, but there's nothing there to tell me how to fix the login as *** Email address is removed for privacy *** (no such account anyway as it's just an experiment). I won't know the real user name until the situation arises where I want to create an actual account for a family member in the future.

In the old days, you could create temp accounts and remove them, create a new one, etc.....

Further, I just enabled the GUEST account  but can't log in since I don't know the password. it never asked me to create one. I used my sysadmin p/w but did not work.  How do you login as Guest?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Tell me that email account exists really on Microsoft webmail? You have to create a microsoft account that already exist. If it exists are you able to access from Microsoft webmail?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2023 Views 28,040 Applies to: