Can't login into Windows, Mouse and Keyboard won't work.

I have an old Gateway desktop computer running Windows 7.  Normally I had left the computer on all the time and never experienced a problem, recently I shut the computer down since I was going to be away travelling.  Upon return, I can't get logged back into the computer.  The computer doesn't seem to recognize any keyboard or mouse.  There is no way to login into the machine and get past the windows login screen.  

Originally I thought maybe there was a USB driver issue with the computer as the mouse and keyboard use the same USB dongle.  I tried several different USB ports and was unable to resolve the issue.  

Therefore I went and purchased a cheap PS/2 connected mouse and keyboard from Amazon thinking that using the mouse and keyboard connections on the integrated card would at least solve the login issue and get me past the login screen where I could then continue to troubleshoot the USB issues.

To my dismay the computer doesn't recognize the PS/2 connected mouse or keyboard either and I am still unable to login in.  Is it likely that both the connections on the integrated board have failed as well as the USB mouse and keyboard not working?

I should also mention that the red optical light on the mouse does light up, so it is being powered from the PS/2 port, but doesn't move the cursor on the login screen.

Wondering what my options are at this point.  

Thanks for any assistance that could be provided.

Try to update the drivers. This may be different on Windows 7, but you'll get to the same place.

Open start and search for "device manager".

Navigate and open "mice and other pointing devices"

Update the drivers. If it doesn't work, then you may need an upgrade to Windows 10(since Windows 7 support discontinued in January)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

hi

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds a bit odd that neither USB or PS/2 work.

Depending how old this computer is and if the BIOS / CMOS 3 Volt Button Cell has never been changed replace it with a new one.

Possibly it has failed or fallen below a certain threshold so the BIOS / CMOS Settings are no longer retained and have Defaulted.

With a new one installed see if it lets you boot to a screen letting you know that the Date and Time are wrong.

On the PS/2 Keyboard do the lights on the Keyboards Num Lock / Caps Lock / Scroll Lock quickly flash as you start the computer ?

If they do quickly flash do another re-start and see if you can enter the BIOS.

Being a Gateway  i am not sure of which key is required to be tapped to enter the BIOS so you will need to find this out for your Gateway.

It could possibly be the F1 or F2 Key.

If you can get into the BIOS have a look in " Advanced " or " On-board Devices " or " Integrated Peripherals " .

Within one of these Headings there should be something in relations to Enabling and Disabling USB Keyboards / Mice.

Make sure USB Legacy is enabled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply,

The keyboard and mouse do light up.  I was able to use the keyboard on startup to enter BIOS. 

I then restarted and enter Safe Mode with Networking.  Since the PS/2 mouse and keyboard are both working in Safe Mode I think this must be a Windows issue now and not a hardware issue.  I am not sure why they would work when entering SafeMode but not work under a normal startup.

Now that I am into Windows under safe mode I'll see if there is any troubleshooting or updates I can do.

Thanks again for the help.  If you have any other troubleshooting tips or tricks now that I'm into Windows that be appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 2,103 Applies to: