Can't install Windows 10 with USB Boot on SSD (Legacy BIOS).

Hello, I am having trouble installing Windows 10 from scratch to my new SSD.

I want to discard my old computer later on this year but i've decided to buy a very cheap SSD until that time to boost performance a little.

Here are my specs:

Processor: Intel Core I5 CPU 760 2.80GHz 4 cores

Very old motherboard: ASUS P7H55-M LE (it supports only legacy BIOS and not UEFI)

BIOS has the latest update for that motherboard from official ASUS site: American Megatrends 0801 2012

My new SSD: Apacer AS350 Panther 128Gb (min 4096 bytes) - Sata 1 (don't have Sata 0).

I have also have one old HDD 1 Tb (NTFS, MBR, 512 bytes) - Sata 2

Both are connected to Sata (My motherboard is Sata II, SSD need Sata III but i've read that they are backwards and forwards compatible, there is only some speed loss).

My system is currently installed on HDD in IDE format, booting in AHCI doesn't work.

Cloning and creating image of the system did not work because of the size of the drives (1tb and and 128 gb) and unit size (512 bytes vs min 4096 bytes).

I've created USB Boot thrice: once through Windows Media creation tool (oldest Windows 10 build) and twice with Rufus (Windows 10 2020 version 20h2 and and 2019 version 19h2). None of them worked. In Rufus i've specifically set to create USB Boot file with MBR NTFS and Legacy Bios compatibility.

I have disabled my HDD before installing Windows 10 from USB.

In the installation window when you have an option to choose the drive for system to install to i get a message that "Windows can't be installed to this drive".

If I try to get more info it says that "hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu".

I've tried everything, setting the storage formats to IDE compatible, IDE enhanced, AHCI, nothing solves that problem. The computer sees SSD and can write on it, format create partitions through disk manager, etc. It just doesn't want to install the new system on it.

I've tried cleaning the disk with cmd line "diskpart" before the installation. Used NTFS system, tried both MBR and GPT formats - nothing.

Solutions on the internet forums mention trying creating a partition and setting it to primary on the new disk, also nothing. I've tried cleaning, creating partition, set it to primary, activated the disk and assigned letter to the disk before installation - new problem appeared, now it says in the installation window that it "can't find/create partition on the disk".

I've also found solutions for that on the internet: tried creating primary partition of the USB size (create partition primary size=) and xcopying all the usb boot drive contents to it and then trying to install from it. Nope.

Is all hope lost? Should I accept that my motherboard simply doesn't not permit the system files to be installed on this SSD? That's quite strange since it can see and store and activate programs and applications on it.

What can I do to resolve the issue?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi DM. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor, here to help you until the problems are fixed.

I will give you all possible steps to troubleshoot Windows installation failure which work in about 90% of cases. If not we'll go from there:

Follow the illustrated Clean Install steps in this tutorial which compiles the best possible install that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Make sure all other drives and peripherals are unplugged. Update the BIOS or UEFI firmware to latest, or reset to Defaults, set SATA controller to AHCI, SSD first to boot, Save changes and Exit. Access BIOS/UEFI Setup as shown here: https://www.mydigitallife.net/comprehensive-lis...
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/reset-pc-bios-...

Create the latest Windows 10 Installation Media by installing Media Creation Tool and following the directions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m.... If you're using another PC to do this uncheck the box for Recommended Settings to choose the exact version and bit rate for the target PC only.

Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first. If you can start Windows enter UEFI firmware here: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-password/four-...

The media may also be bad, so confirm it boots and queues up per these steps in another PC, or else recreate it. You can also try a DVD, or the alternate download site from MS TechBench here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php. Burn to DVD using WIndows Image Burner or create bootable flash using one of the options here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...

Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, on first screen press Shift + F10 to open a Command Prompt, type the following commands, each followed by Enter key:
DISKPART
LIST DISK
SEL DIS # (replace # with the disk # of the Windows disk from list in previous command)
CLEAN
EXIT

Close Command Box, on second screen choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen choose Unallocated Space, click Next to let it create needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof.

Make sure to follow the setup steps in the first link tutorial to complete your install. Drivers are important enough that those steps are printed in red. If installation stalls or won't complete, try disconnecting from the internet.

You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the first linked tutorial. It's a better install than any amount of money could buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC.

If all else fails you can move the hard drive to another PC to do the install with it plugged in alone. Windows 10 is remarkably adaptive to new hardware without needing adaptive restore. If it will start it will swap out all drivers requiring several restarts. You can also try applying a same-version System Image to the intact SSD/hard drive.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I did everything said in the instructions but nothing changed. When I try to install I still get the message that "windows can't install on this drive", more info still says that "hardware may not support". When I manually create the partition and then try to install it says that "windows can't be installed on disk 1 partition 1". I even tried installing on 2017 motherboard with eufi system (both legacy and uefi settings). It did not work on it and said same messages. Maybe the problem is the SSD itself? Device manager says that I have all the relevant drives installed and up to date. Windows itself recognizes the SSD inside my old Windows 10 system and can even format/write/read from it. So it all seems very odd to me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The troubleshooting instructions I wrote out above specifically say to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space and then click Next to auto-create and -format the needed partitions and begin - this makes it foolproof.

Instead you created a partition which it does NOT say to do, and then got that error. Did you even wipe the disk with Clean Command to get it cleanest?

You said you had all the relevant drives installed but the instructions also say to remove all other drives except the target SSD. This is crucial. Did you unplug the other drives?

Please go back to the top of the instructions I wrote out which work for almost everyone else, and make sure to do them all this time. If you get stuck I am here to help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did both ways, deleting and creating, none of them worked. By creating partition manually I tried to copy the solution from other forums just in case. I also did without creating it. When I don't create it the initial problem persists. Even when SSD was listed as an Unallocated space completely - no budge.

Can it be an issue with the gpt and mbr formats? Maybe latest Windows 10 installation requires the drive to be in gpt format? By drives I mean drivers, not physical drives, sorry for the typo.

Could it be faulty SSD since none of the instructions worked? Even though I can write and read from it in my old system.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No, GPT is only for UEFI on WIndows drive. Windows 10 can definitely be installed to Legacy BIOS in MBR format.

We do see faulty new SSD's. Can you try another SSD or HDD ? Contact the SSD manufacturer's Support to have them help you test it for RMA. You can also test it yourself using the manufacturer's tool from the model's Support Downloads web page, also using one of these tools:
https://mashtips.com/ssd-health-test-and-perfor...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done some light experimenting and used the suggested programs and it turns out that my SSD is all good.

I tried installing windows 8.1 and it completely worked no problem (mbr partition, ahci sata format)! No luck with windows 10. My USB for windows 10 was set correctly and worked on other device so it is not a usb boot problem.

What can be an issue here? Why am I unable to instal windows 10?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did you try disconnect HDD before trying to install SSD as Greg advice?

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I did, I mentioned that in the initial post.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"I have disabled my HDD"

Disabled, but not physically disconnected?

Update = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Disabled as in completely unplugged.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 12,748 Applies to: