Can't fix scriptengine "VB script" for script C:\Users\User|Appdata\Temp\tmp8FC1.vbs

Can't fix scriptengine "VB script" for script C:\Users\User|Appdata\Temp\tmp8FC1.vbs

Windows Vista Home Basic 32bit, SP2

I am unable to bring up any Microsoft webpage by clicking on "Event Log Online Help"

I think this problem came up when after I deleteed several things including antivirus

When I Click on link in "event" EventLogOnline Help :

I get this:

Can't find scriptengine"VBScript" for script

C:\Users\Cris\AppData\Temp\tmp8FC1.vbs"

I have done all of that is mentioned below, and I think I am missing a registry entry, although sfc\ scannow does not tell me that . It tells me, it is repairing on next boot up, but it never does. I rerun and rerun the same scan and it tells me the same thing.

See below, how I have tackled the problem so far. I am at a loss now.

Can anyone help?

"

This is what I get when I open adminstative tools" Windows Power Shell"

( opened as administrator)

In yellow it shows this:

:

Warning: File C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PsdDiagnostics\PsDiagnostics.psm1 cannot be loaded because the excution of scripts is disabled on this system. Please see"get-help about_signing"for more details.

Errors occurred while importing modules. To view the errors, type "$error"

I did put in "$error" under the command prompt in the "Windows PowerShell " and this comes up:

Cannot load file Powershell snap-inMicrosoft.Windows.Diagnosis.SystemIndo.MonitorInfo because of the following error; Could not load file assembly `file:///C:\Windows\Temp\SDIAG_4ecacObc-e7a7-8c96-8365d8147237\MonitorSnapin.dll` or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified

I then ran from command prompt: regsvr32 vbscript.dll

This window poped -up:

The module"vbscript.dll" was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with errorcode 0x80004005.

For more information abput this problem search online using the error code as search term

I then went to command:

Typed the following command: regsvr32 jscript.dll

It stated this suceeded.

Then

typed the command again: regsvr32 vbscript.dll

This window poped -up again:

The module"vbscript.dll" was loaded but the call to DLLRegisterServer failed with errorcode 0x80004005.

For more information abput this problem search online using the error code as search term

This is the advise given in microsoft forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/jscript/thread/b7d1a35f-3759-4217-91ba-e4416ac19d78

I did the following, and it did not work!!  The reset does not seem to have worked on my problem nor on the error code.

This was the advice given:

Same here. NOTHING worked for me, until I found this nifty little solution. Here it is ; )

1) download SubInAcl at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E8BA3E56-D8FE-4A91-93CF-ED6985E3927B&displaylang=en

2) Go to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools

??you can paste this into your browser to go there) and create a notepad file called reset. Paste this into the file:

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

3) save the file as reset.cmd Remember to change the file type to "all files" and not just "Text"
4) a reset command should show up, run it.

After you let the command finish running, the 0x80004005 error should be taken care of

THIS DID NOT WORK FOR ME.

When I click on "Event online Help" I now get the following:

Can't find scriptengine"VBscript" for script. C:\Users\Chris\Appdata\Local\Temp\tmp7A90.vbs

Entering into the command prompt the following: regsvr vbscript.dll

still gives me:

For more information about this problem search online using the error code as search term

( I thought I had fixed that error with above procedure, but apparently not)

I then used the systemfile checker ,

command promt : sfc/ scannow

The answer is: Windows resource ptoection found corrupt files and succesfully repaired them. Details are included in CBS.log C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\Cbs\log

The system file repair changes will take effect on next reboot.

The question now is can I repair VB script language registry setting as suggested here.

http://techlogon.com/2012/11/26/how-to-fix-the-error-cant-find-script-engine-vbscript-for-script

In the registry editor I am supposed to find:

HKCR\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32.

HKCR\CLSID  should have the entry the vbscript.dll under C:\windows\system32\vbscript.dll

I do have HKEYClasses Root\CLSID but not the entire key above, I have no Inproc server32. I have no vbscript in that key.

Ths sfc scannow did not make me aware of a missing key, and did not ask me to insert an operating disk for the missing file.

What should I do?

I have Vista Sp2 On my PC but only have a recovery CD for Vista SP1

I would appreciate any input from someone as this has been quite difficult for me to get this far. Thank you .

Hi Crisanna,

This happens if the scripting runtime file vbscript.dll is not registered correctly in the system. To resolve the problem, use these methods and check the issue status.

Method 1:

Keep the computer in clean boot and check the issue status.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Method 2:

Run the following command and check the issue status.

a. Click Start, Run and type:

regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll

b. If the registration was successful, you should now see the following message:

DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded.

Method 3:

Perform system restore to a system restore point where everything was fine.

System Restore.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

System restore: When you perform System Restore to restore the computer to previous state, programs and updates you installed are removed.

Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you very much for your response, Ganesh.

Nothing worked. I appreciate any helpful input.

I did "System Restore" first thing prior to everything I mentioned in the post.

That did not work.

I did the "clean boot" which did not work.

I have dried to register this dll as I have stated in my post and I did not succeed. See error code below.

I entered it again as you requested:

regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\vbscript.dll

I get the following in a separate pop- up window again:

As I understand this error code means “access denied“.

I had performed this registration action as the "Standard user" with administrator privileges and clicked" Administrator" from the command prompt.

I was denied access with error code 0x800040005 although I am a person with administrator rights...

I explained this previously in my post...

That is why I downloaded SubInAcl and created a" note pad" as reset.cmd and ran it. According to Microsoft, this should take care of this error code 0x80004005, but apparently it did not. I still have the problem.

I am not that firm on the on the" User Control Issue" in my Vista.

But this is what I tried next:

I logged onto my" administrator account" not the “Standard user” with "administrator privileges". I ran that CMD. This cmd says also administrator cmd. However, here I had to change the cmd content from C:\User\Administrator to C:\ windows\system32. I then tried to register regsvr32 vbscript.dll.

I got the same error code 0x80004004 with same message as above.

I also stated in my post that I have a problem with with Windows power shell and that a module cannot be loaded because the execution of scripts is disabled on the system. Does this have anything to do with it? Or is this a separate issue.

Since I am still getting this error 0x80004005 wherever I want to register the vbscript.dll it seems that this maybe be a problem with privilege.? Is it? I am even denied access to CBS.logs.

I have run sfc scannow as I stated before and it says I have corrupted files and that they have been repaired and it will take affect on next reboot. However, this corrupted file never is being repaired.

I then wanted to find out what it says under sfcdetails.txt and entered into the command prompt:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

Nothing comes up. I then go to the actual place of CBS.logs on my computer and when clicked to open it, a window pops up "access is denied"

Do I have something wrong in my registry that prevents this registration or what causes the "access denied"?

I managed somehow yesterday maybe trough sfc\scannow to get this key:

"HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

into my registry ( it was absolutely missing).

So it is there now,

But l I still have several of the same keys in addition to the InprocServer32 only with a different ending. Are they interfering?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8

.\Implemented category (there are two sets of numbers long keys under that)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}

.\ OLEscript

...\ProgID

The same key with these endings do they interfere?

My “Microsoft Console” does not have a “snap -in” for “Local Groups and Users“. Reason given is: “I have Vista Home Basic. I do not know how to view the privilege issue further.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Crisanna,

I would suggest you to create a new user account and check the issue status in the new user account.

Create a user account.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Create-a-user-account

What is a user account?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-is-a-user-account

Hope this helps.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did create a new user account with administrator privileges.

I then ran from command prompt as adminsitrator : regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Again this

window poped -up:

For more information about this problem search online using the error code as search term

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

What happens when you open "Event Log Online Help" in newly created user account?

Please update the more information to assist you better.

I would also suggest you to run the SFC scan and check the issue status,

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Hope this helps.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What happens when I want to Click On "Event Log online Help" in the new user account?

The same as under any other account.

I get this:

Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script. C:\Users\Cris\AppData\Temp\tmp8FC1.vbs

(Please see the beginning of my post.)

I have also run sfc scannow as I explained in my first post I ran it under every user account.

It finds corrupted files every time.

It tells me, it fixed the problem, and the fix will go into effect the next reboot.

I think it never does. I have ran sfc scan multiple times, I get the same message about corrupted files every time.

After I wrote my last post I re-checked my registry entries.

Once again

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

had disappeared out of my registry.

I did not know how to get this back into the registry.

I decided then to download IE9 which I had not installed but I figured it might give me the registry entry. It did.

Now this registry entry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32 has to be altered. It is different then before, values are not set.

I have no clue how to set the value. I have never altered a registry key and even after reading explanation from Microsoft how to alter registry keys or set values I do not understand.

When I right click (value not set) many options come up what do I choose? What do I do then?

. What exactly do I click on, what exactly do I enter where?

I assume C:\windows\system 32\vbscript.dll

Please can someone help me to change this registry key?

Maybe this will bring me a step further.

Although previously I did have this key in my registry with the correct values for vbscript.(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32),

I have no idea, why I could not register vbscript then, or why it would disappear following.

Is there anything wrong with the additional subkeys?

I have a subkey PROGID under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8 which has the entry VBscript .

These are the entries in my registry:

This registry key has 4 subkeys and subkey 1 has two sub-subkeys.

Implemented categories:

has following subkeys

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\Implemented Categories\{F0B7A1A1-9847-11CF-8F20-00805F2CD064}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\Implemented Categories\{F0B7A1A2-9847-11CF-8F20-00805F2CD064}

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\InprocServer32

THis is set as follows:    Default REG_SZ           ( value not set)

This I want to alter!!

Subkey 3

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\OLEScript

Subkey 4

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11cf-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}\ProgID

Value Default REG_SZ Data VBscript ( What is this?)

Some other strange thing:

My "Microsoft console" does not have the snap-in for "Locals users and groups."

My computer tells, me this is because I have "Vista basic".

How could I then ever see how permissions are given?

I have never set any permissions myself ,for one I do not understand the concept and b) I cannot access " Local Users" My Computer is called " Cris-PC" but some times I get a message referring to Cris-PC$ ( with Dollar sign) and I cannot figure out what that is, because I cannot access where permissions are given.

Any further help is appreciated. I really thank everyone for helping me.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2020 Views 2,387 Applies to: