Can't find gpedit.msc on windows 7 pro to diasable HARD DISK DRIVE FAILURE mesage

I keep getting an error message on a black screen suddenly that reads:

HARD DISK DRIVE FAIILURE

STRIKE F1 TO CONTINUE  F2 TO RUN SET UP UTILITY

I HAVE RUN CHKDSK AT THE DOS MENU AND IT TAKES ABOUT AN HOUR TO GO THROUGH BUT THEN GET NO MESSAGE AS TO THE RESULTS. IT SIMPLY GOES BACK TO THE LOG ON SCREEN.

I WILL LOG ON AND THEN IT GOES BACK TO THE BLACK ERROR MESSAGE AGAIN...

I googled for info on the message and was told to go to run and enter gpedit.msc and go from there... however, when I enter gpedit.msc I get another error messages that says unable to locate file??? WTF?

It is my mothers computer... Dell Inspirion I bought her in 2013... She rarely uses it and then only to play MS Games, check email (she knows not to open anything she is not 1000% sure it's ok and to surf the web but very briefly...

Any thoughts? 

Answer
Answer

Windows does not have a message like that but your computer hardware does - in other words... the message is not coming from Windows.

If you visit the Dell WWW support page and enter the Service Tag of the unit you can drill down right to that specific system and find troubleshooting ideas for the message.  There are some non destructive diagnostics you can run or seek help in the Dell Community.

It could be that the hard drive is really failing or it could be that the CMOS battery on the motherboard needs to be replaced and the Dell Support Community is the place to look for help with those ideas.  Those CMOS batteries have a limited life span and are cheap to buy and easy to replace and the Dell Support page will have instructions how to do that for your specific model.

Hopefully when you ran your chkdsk you ran it with error correction (chkdsk  /r) and when it runs on a reboot you will not see the results but the results will be saved in the Event Viewer and here is a link that tells you how to find and view the results:

https://askleo.com/how_do_i_see_the_results_of_a_chkdsk_that_ran_on_boot/

I can't think of anything that GPE the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) would have to do with this issue so if you can post a link to where you read about that we can take a look at it and figure out what it might be talking about.

The GPE is not included with some editions of Windows but is included in Windows Professional so you can check to be sure that is what the system is running:

If the system is running Windows 7 Pro you can look in the system32 folder to see if gpedit.msc is present or missing:

If you still need help with GPE let us know what you find out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 13, 2023 Views 125 Applies to: