Can't disable family safety screen time

It is extremely difficult if not impossible to bypass Screen Time restrictions under Windows 10.  This is necessary when a child account is locked due to Screen Time restrictions, yet you want to enable it temporarily.  For example, your daughter needs 5 minutes to send an urgent item to the printer.  Further, say that you as the parent need to leave the house and don't have time to sit around and wait for some email from Microsoft to approve an unblock request. Under Windows 8, a parent or administrator could use their login password to give the child more time.  But there is no facility for doing this under Windows 10.  You can't unblock a child account even by entering a parent or administrator password.

You might think by going into to the family safety website and changing the settings there, they would take effect immediately.  Well, I understand it takes a few seconds or perhaps a minute to propagate parent setting changes over to the target computer.  And on one occasion, I recall it happening right away.  But this usually does not happen right away.

Another option is for the child to request more time by clicking a button labeled "Get More Time."  Well, this doesn't work right away either.  Many minutes or even hours pass before the parent receives an email message from this system.  I don't know just how long because I have simply given up and gone on with my life, which as a parent is filled with many things.

Why can't the system simply send an email message with the unblock request right away?  I can wait a minute or two but longer than that?  Come on, this is a multi-billion dollar multi-national computer industry giant.  If you want me to rely on your products they need to be rely-able.

Answer
Answer

Hi GermanSXT,

It sounds like your child's account has expired on their device, so it can't talk to the Family service, and because time limits are up, you can't get in to fix the account issue.

Here's what we're doing to make this easier in the Windows 10 anniversary update. These new features are already available for Insiders to try out.

• Parents will be able to override the time limits using a local Administrator password. (The option to send a request is still there, too.)
  • If your child's device has a problem talking to the Family service because of an account issue, it will display an error box which will allow you or your child to fix the issue and get things working again. (Usually it just needs you to enter your child's Microsoft account password again.)

But none of those things help you right now.  Here's a simple way to reset the time limits on your child's device. (This will reset the allowance for the entire day.)

1. Log in as an administrator.

2. Go to Task Manager, on the Details tab. Find any wpcmon.exe entries and use the End Task button to terminate them.

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Parental Controls\settings.

* To reset their time allowance: Look in the folders and delete any files called TimeCache.bin.

* To turn off all other settings, including curfew: Delete settings.bin.

4. Now you should be able to switch back to your child's account and their time allowance should be reset.

https://aka.ms/famsafefaq
https://aka.ms/familyforum
Follow me on Twitter! @MSFTFamilyGeek

40 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 13,583 Applies to: