Can't delete a redirected network printer

Using an HP desktop with Ultimate 64 bit operating system.
All of a sudden our network printers (3) wouldn't accept a print job and when reviewing the printer tab I saw the all the newtork printers had (redirected1) after the name. I have reinstalled network printers and the new ones work OK but when I try to delete the redirected ones Vista will not allow it. It tells me access is denied. I have checked each one's spool and there are no print jobs pending. Through services I turned print spooling off and restarted, but they are still hanging in there. I would appreciate any suggestions to get rid of them as they are causing a lot of confusion to the users.
Answer
Answer

Hi Milo Bisconer,

Did you try the steps mentioned by Gloria - Support Engineer?

Milo,

Go into the printers folder in control panel and right click on the printer you want to delete.  Select 'run as administrator' and then click delete.  If that does not work, try turning off User Account Control temporarily until you get the printers deleted, just be sure you turn it back on for security purposes.  To turn off UAC:

1.  Open User Accounts. To do this, click Start , type accounts in the Start Search box, and then click User Accounts in the Programs list. 

2.  Click Turn User Account Control on or off . User Account Control permission.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue . 

3.  Click to clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box, and then click OK . 

4.  Restart the computer. 

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gloria
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

I would also recommend you to remove all printers completely and follow the steps to add the Network Printers.

1.       Connect the Printer and install the drivers.

2.       Open the Printers icon in the Windows Vista Control Panel.

3.       Right-click on your printer that was just installed and choose Properties.

4.       Navigate to the Ports tab.

5.       Click Add Port, then select Local Port, then click New Port.

6.       For the Port Name, enter the exact network path and share name of your printer.  (ex. - \\HOMEPC\Printer2)

7.       Click OK and make sure that this new port is selected with a check in the checkbox.

8.       Click Apply and then OK to close the printer properties.

You should now be able to use your network printer correctly.

Good luck.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Savan
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 52,091 Applies to: