Can't change name for gmail account in mail app

I'm using Win10 Mail App Version 16005.13426.20368.0

I recently realized that my gmail account sends mails under the wrong display name.

My setup has 3 mail accounts (gmx, gmail #1, gmail #2) and gmail #2 sends mails under the wrong name.

I tried changing the name under "Account Settings" > "Change Mailbox Sync Settings" but don't get the option for the name for either of the gmail accounts (I do get the option for the gmx account though).

How can I change the sender name for my gmail accounts? Thanks

Hi!

I can help you with this. 

If you open your mail app > three-lines > bottom left toolbar > settings icon > Manage accounts > Select the account you want to change > then change the name. 

Hope this helps! If this helped you, please mark this as the answer, thank you. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi!

If you open your mail app > three-lines > bottom left toolbar > settings icon > Manage accounts > Select the account you want to change > then change the name. 

I tried this, but it didn't fix the issue. While it changes the Account name, mails still get sent with the wrong name.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi!

I tried this, but it didn't fix the issue. While it changes the Account name, mails still get sent with the wrong name.

I have the same problem: I have 3 gmail accounts. On account 1 and 2 I am able to modify the Sender name by clicking on

Settings > Emails and Account > (the account name) > manage > Change mailbox sync settings > fill up the right name

But on the last account, if I follow the exact same procedure, I only get a limited set of options and it does not include the ability to change the name. Worst it seems to take the name of whatever account I am looking at before. But only this account. I checked the account's setting in google and I made sure IMAP is activated. 

What am I missing? 

Why only this last account doesn't work?

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please can you clarify what you mean by "wrong name". 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please can you clarify what you mean by "wrong name". 

Yes, what I mean is the display name that is send inside the SMTP "From" header. As in "From: Sasha DQ <sasha.dq@g****.com>". Basically, the name that you see when I'd send you a mail.

To clarify, if I send mails directly through gmail web client, the display name is correct. If I send it through the Mail App, it uses an incorrect or mixed up name (in my case, the same name it uses on gmail#1). There is no setting displayed to change that name.

By now I believe, this is a bug inside the windows client and should probably be addressed to the dev team. Unfortunately it is a bug that can potentially have rather bad consequences for the user (e.g. business mail account sends mails under a wrong/"funny" name).

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you able to change the name via gmail? 

try this: Change the name on your Gmail account - Gmail Help (google.com)

Thank you. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If I compose a new email in Gmail's web app, it shows the correct name.

If I compose a new email in Windows 10 Mail, it shows an incorrect name, that I don't know how to fix.

How do we fix it in *Windows 10 Mail*?

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. If I send an email using Windows 10 mail it defaults to my windows account name and not the gmail account name. Very frustrating as I have personal and business emails where I do not want my windows account name used.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issues started today. Mail is picking up initials and a name for email addressed under which they are stored. There seem to be no way to change that and it is problematic.

For example, if I have 2 emails a) hello.xyz.com and b) funny.wed.com. Mail is creating a name like: f2 "funny" <hello.xyz.com>. Which is then seen by the recipient as such. There is no way to remove "funny" which I didn't select.

It is not the name of the email account in the set up but the way the email address is stored! Every time I write to hello.xyz.com Mail converts it to funny; in the 'to' field as the name of the email. If I write from hello.xyz.com, the recipient sees "funny" <hello.xyz.com>.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 2,714 Applies to: