Can't boot Windows 10 winRE, Non-system disk or disk error

My computer got stuck in the Auto Startup Repair loop so I used the bootrec cmds, but I still couldn't get past the loading screen so then I attempted a System Restore from a restore point, but the process froze at the finished prompt so I shut it down to try again. The second time around I only had a black screen and I couldn't get Windows Repair disk to boot.

I tried accessing my hdd using Puppy Linux to try to at least save my files, but I was only able to mount it in read-only mode the one time and was unable to backup anything I wanted to keep.

I tried going through Windows disk management and what I noticed is the partition where Windows 10 is located is no longer labeled with a drive letter or the Windows label. I tried assigning it a drive letter, but the whole thing just froze up/did not respond.

Is there anything else I can try to salvage some of my files? Or is it a futile attempt?

Hi.

First you have to create a Windows repair USB.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windo...

Then follow carefully the steps of this links to repair Windows and recover your files.

https://www.intowindows.com/repair-windows-10-i...

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Tell me how you are doing and let me know if the information has been helpful in solving your query.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi
Please try these steps from our MVP Greg Camarack:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar problem. I woke up one morning and found my prior functioning 2017 Acer compter stuck in a boot loop. I took it to a computer repair place and they could only see what was inside my computer with a 3rd party linux program. After tranferring thr majority of my files to an external hard drive, they  tried to reload windows 10 and could not, after trying the entire day. They said they were putting windows 8 on it and it appeared to be working but the said they’ver never seen anything like it and appears that windows 10 was the root cause of the system failure. I can ask the repair place how they were able to transfer the files  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar problem. I woke up one morning and found my prior functioning 2017 Acer compter stuck in a boot loop. I took it to a computer repair place and they could only see what was inside my computer with a 3rd party linux program. After tranferring thr majority of my files to an external hard drive, they  tried to reload windows 10 and could not, after trying the entire day. They said they were putting windows 8 on it and it appeared to be working but the said they’ver never seen anything like it and appears that windows 10 was the root cause of the system failure. I can ask the repair place how they were able to transfer the files  

I would really appreciate any info you could pass on, please? I tried the two suggested solutions above to no avail. I think maybe I'm not able to access the drive because it was shutdown right when the system restore had finished.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2020 Views 118 Applies to: