Cant Activate Windows 11 after BIOS Update !

hi , few days ago i build my new pc and install windows 11 and activate it through my microsoft account. and everything was fine . yesterday i updated my MB BIOS and after that I'm having a problem with activating windows !!

i tried troubleshooting and " change hardware " option but still getting error .

tried to contact MS support live chat but stock at num1 in line and never get respond !

my MB is Gigabyte B560 AORUS Pro AX

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Updating your motherboard's BIOS should not affect your Windows 11 activation, as activation is tied to your Microsoft account, not your hardware. However, it's possible that something went wrong during the BIOS update that caused your Windows 11 activation to be lost.

To resolve the issue, you can try the following:

1. Check that you're signed in to Windows 11 with the same Microsoft account you used to activate it.

2. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and click on "Troubleshoot" to run the activation troubleshooter. Follow the on-screen instructions and select "I recently changed hardware on this device" when prompted.

3. If the troubleshooter doesn't work, try using the "Change product key" option in the Activation settings to manually enter your product key. You can find your product key on the Windows 11 packaging or in the email from Microsoft when you purchased the license.

Let me know if you need further help.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Updating your motherboard's BIOS should not affect your Windows 11 activation, as activation is tied to your Microsoft account, not your hardware. However, it's possible that something went wrong during the BIOS update that caused your Windows 11 activation to be lost.

To resolve the issue, you can try the following:

1. Check that you're signed in to Windows 11 with the same Microsoft account you used to activate it.

2. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and click on "Troubleshoot" to run the activation troubleshooter. Follow the on-screen instructions and select "I recently changed hardware on this device" when prompted.

3. If the troubleshooter doesn't work, try using the "Change product key" option in the Activation settings to manually enter your product key. You can find your product key on the Windows 11 packaging or in the email from Microsoft when you purchased the license.

Let me know if you need further help.

i searched and it seems many people have a same problem !!

i checked my microsft account and its fine , tried troubleshooting and " change hardware " but it not working and getting me error !

i don't have a product key because it is digital license from upgraded windows 8 to windows 10 during " free upgrade to windows 10 " many years ago

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mahmoud,
I'm Sumit, here to answer your query at the Microsoft Community.

To better diagnose the issue,

1. Right-click Start button and Choose Windows Powershell(admin) and type in the following command:

slmgr.vbs /dlv

You will get a window, take a screenshot and send the same in the next reply.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Mahmoud,
I'm Sumit, here to answer your query at the Microsoft Community.

To better diagnose the issue,

1. Right-click Start button and Choose Windows Powershell(admin) and type in the following command:

slmgr.vbs /dlv

You will get a window, take a screenshot and send the same in the next reply.

here is screenshot

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. You have Windows Pro with Retail license. Did it come preinstalled or you bought it separately?
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. You have Windows Pro with Retail license. Did it come preinstalled or you bought it separately?

it is a digital license from upgraded windows 8 to windows 10 during " free upgrade to windows 10 " many years ago, so i linked it to my microsoft account and transfer it to my new pc . it was activated before updating MB BIOS

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks. Understood. In that case, please contact support.

Please use the contact us link here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus

Click Get support in your browser. Type "Talk to an agent" and choose the contact support button.

Select Chat/Call me back.

Additionally, country-wise phone numbers are given here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/405170...
Sumit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem and wanted to know if there was any update on fixing this.

I updated my NZXT z690 BIOS last night and now windows deactivated.

I cant get it to activate when I run the troubleshooting or "I changed hardware"

Thanks,

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue: updated NZXT N7 Z790 bios last week and noticed yesterday there is a "Hardware Changed" Windows Activation error. The activation troubleshooter "I recently changed my hardware" does not work. I am logged in to my Microsoft Account and my current PC does appear in the list of my devices in the Windows Store application. But the activation troubleshooter does not show it when prompted to pick my current device. Spent 90 mins on Quick Assist with Microsoft technician but he was also unable to activate it. I am not using a product key: it is a digital license purchased from Microsoft directly in Windows. Very unhappy - a BIOS update alone should not invalidate activation status.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Having the same issue. Was considering contacting Microsoft, but spending 90minutes with customer support, no thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 6,526 Applies to: