Cant activate Windows 10 Pro on apparently "pirated" Windows 10 Enterprise N

Hi everyone! For the past couple of days I have been trying to activate a windows 10 Pro license key on my windows 10 enterprise n pc. But whenever i try activating it I am greeted with the following error:

I have led multiple "investigations" on the problem and I have found out that the PC shop where my desktop Pc was assembled 2-3 years ago had activated my windows but not in a legitimate way. Please help I have tried everything including troubleshooting methods in command prompt and other ways. All I want is an original windows 10 license on my pc before I upgrade to windows 11. I will offer any information you guys need to help, as the only way to contact support in my country is by phone and nobody is answering. Thanks in advance

Hi MLGP,

I am Dave, I will help you with this, try this fix.

Important - disconnect totally from the Internet

Open the Settings App (Gear icon on your Starr Menu)

Go to Update and Security - Activation

Click Change Product key

Enter this generic product key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

When prompted, click 'Activate Product'

If the above does not work first time, restart your PC and try again.

Note the generic key will cause Enterprise to downgrade to the Pro edition, then after you restart (not shut down) your PC, try activating Windows 10 Pro.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dave! Thanks for the reply. I have just followed your steps, including restarting after it didn't work for the first time, but unfortunately I am recieveing the exact same darn error. Additional support would be appreciated. Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MLGP,

If that process was not successful, then the only way to resolve this would be to backup your personal files and clean install Windows 10 Pro from a bootable USB, there is no other method to downgrade to the Pro edition.

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Perhaps there never was a valid licence. In which case you will need to clean install Windows 10 and then buy a new licence. (from the Windows 10 Store is best for support)

It will probably clean install Windows 10 Home, the cheapest licence edition.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I even said that it was not a valid license. I am trying to find the best way to clean install without loosing data and the best method seems using the media creation tool and directly activate windows 11 Pro, and then using my original license afterwards. Is this a proper way to keep all of my data and just refresh windows files? Thanks for the answer EDIT: by the way I have just purchased a windows 10 Pro license and am just waiting to be able to use it

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You cannot clean install without deleting all data on the internal drive, that is what a clean install is.

I didn't see that you mentioned you have bought a valid licence.

So a clean install will mean to backup all personal files to and external drive and boot from the USB install media. (personally I would install Windows 10 first and then upgrade to Windows 11)

Once you have booted from USB then select Language > Install now > Custom install. At custom install select each partition and delete until there is only unallocated space. Select the unallocated space and select Next. Follow the prompts and input you new Windows 10 Pro licence key, that should be verified and the correct edition will be installed.

If the computer has a valid Windows 10 Home licence it may install Windows 10 Home and then you can upgrade to Pro once installation is complete.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 1,040 Applies to: