Can't access admin account in Windows 7

Don't recall how it happened, but my boys' PC only has one account active, and it is a guest account. Several related points:

• When the UAC prompt pops up, it asks for an admin password, but gives no place to enter one.
  • I cannot run anything as an admin because of no ability to enter a password.
  • I used the install disk to open a command prompt on the repair screen and entered "net user administrator /active:yes". When I rebooted, I saw two accounts: my boys' account and one labeled "Other User" that required entry of a user name and a password.
  • I cannot get my PC to boot to safe mode. F8 doesn't do the trick and "msconfig" requires an admin password that I cannot enter.
  • System restore only goes back a few days, and that's not far enough.
  • My antivirus is up-to-date and says my PC is clean.

At this point, I'm about to wipe and reinstall the entire OS unless someone has a better solution.

Hi, 

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the issue that you are currently facing, we will try the best we can to resolve your issue.

I suggest you to follow the link below and follow the suggestion given by Azeez N and check if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/in-windows-7-my-administrator-account-has-somehow/03bfc548-9584-4d5c-b17f-b8bc71593b66

Hope the information helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2022 Views 3,510 Applies to: