Canon Pixma MP160 connection with Windows 10

Hi, I have problem trying to connect my Canon Pixma MP160 to windows 10. There is no driver for this printer and it is connected by wire. However when I tried to search for printers using the advanced search option, no printers have been found at all. 

Please help.

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

1. When you search for the printer, do you get any error message/error code?
  2. When you say “There is no driver for this printer”, do you mean you are not able to find the printer driver in device manager?

Method 1: Run the troubleshooters:

Step 1: I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

1. Type Troubleshooting in the search box next to Start button and select the top most search result.
  2. Click on View all from left side panel of the screen.
  3. Select Hardware and Devices, click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
  4. Follow the on screen instructions.

Step 2: Run the Printer troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

1. Type Troubleshooting in the search box next to Start button and select the top most search result.
  2. Click on View all from left side panel of the screen.
  3. Select Printer, click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
  4. Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: If the issue persist, uninstall the printer drivers manually from the device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

1. Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and select Device Manager.
  2. Expand the printer drivers.
  3. Right click on the printer driver and select Uninstall option.
  4. Restart the computer to reinstall the device automatically and check if the changes is effective.

Method 3: If the issue persist, update the printer drivers from the device manager by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

1. Press Windows key + X keys on the keyboard and select Device Manager.
  2. Expand the printer drivers.
  3. Select the printer driver, right click and select Properties.
  4. Click on driver tab and select Update driver.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Also install the latest video driver software from the manufacturer’s website for the best result in printing and to avoid further issues, as it will be in compatible with the operating software.

Write back to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed info. When i searched for printers, it just gives me an empty box. That's all. I have checked with canon, somehow my printer is old and not compatible with windows 8 and above as there is no driver available for my printer. So I guess I need to revert back to windows 7 or buy a new printer.

Another issue I am facing is that windows update does not seem to be working automatically. It keeps hanging at 0%. In the event that I have reverted back to windows 7, can I upgrade it to windows 10 once again?

How many times can I actually downgrade and upgrade? And duration given if any?

wendy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for replying with the status of the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to know if it has been more than 30 days of installing Windows 10 on your PC.

You do not have to revert to Windows 7 to get your printer working. You can run the printer drivers of your previous operating system in Windows 10 by running them in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode runs the program using settings from a previous version of Windows.

To run the device in compatibility mode, follow the steps from the steps below:

1. Download the latest printer driver from the manufacturer’s website.
  2. Right-click on the driver setup file and click on properties.
  3. Click on the compatibility tab check the box Run this program in compatibility mode for and select Windows 10 operating system from the drop down menu. Proceed with the installation.
  4. Restart the computer once the installation is complete and check if the changes are effective.

You cannot rollback to previous operating system after 30 days of Windows 10 installation. You can upgrade your PC to Windows 10 anytime and at any number of times, if you have activated Windows 10 on your device once already.

You can create a bootable device of Windows 10 by downloading the ISO file from the Media Creation Tool.

Refer to the link below on How to download official Windows 10 ISO files:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-download-official-windows-10-iso-files/35cde7ec-5b6f-481c-a02d-dadf465df326

Write back to us with the answer to the above question for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

Thanks for your suggestion. There is no new driver for Canon MP160 and I have downloaded the old driver but run the test for compatibility. Thereafter it works. I have not selected 'Run this program for compatibility mode for' Windows 10 as it is not listed in the option but as long as I can print, then it will be fine. Thanks once again.

wendy

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2024 Views 6,247 Applies to: