Cannot view shares on a computer running Windows 10 Creators Update

Recently updated my laptop to Creators Update. For several days everything worked as usual. A few days ago file sharing stopped working. The details:

• net view \\computername shows all shares
  • net view \\ip-address shows error 53 and no shares
  • ipconfig shows on lan card that netbios over tcp/ip is disabled. No changes in settings change this
  • nbtstat -r shows: NetBT is not bound to any devices
  • using powershell to enable/disable smb1 and smb2/3 does not help.
  • the problem does not limited to lan, the same happens on wlan as well.
  • no driver change of lan card can change
  • using Fing on mobile device shows that the computer does not provide smb over ip service (on port 445). It is the case with switched off firewall as well.
  • only two Windows update package was installed prior to this, removing them changes nothing
  • other computer with the same Windows version does not produce this error on the same local network.

I've run out of options. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Hi,

There are several reasons why after the update this issue happens. To help you resolve your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps given by Hazardous Industries. It was found helpful by 6 people and marked as answer by the original poster. Visit this link: Network sharing not working after upgrading to windows 10.

Let us know if you have further concerns.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No luck. Changed the name of the computer, reboot, no shares by ip, only by name. The thread you suggested is about an earlier (yet similar) problem, which was fixed by Microsoft.

Mine is a new one, and it started weeks after updating to CU.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I made some progress in this. As nbtstat -r shows: NetBT is not bound to any devices I tried to find ways to bind netbt to a device. I found a registry entry (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Linkage) that has values containing lists of interfaces. The guid of the lan card (taken from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards) was not in any of those lists, so I've added to them and restarted. Now netbios was enabled on LAN but shares were not accessible. I found further registry keys for smb (HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Lanmanager and lanmanagerworkstation) and amended the lists there too. After restarting shares started to work at some extent. Locally net view showed shares by ip, other Windows computers where able to see shares but only if I created the proper credentials manually. Simply by selecting the computer in Explorer it asks for username and password but unable to accept the correct one (Microsoft account).

Some other devices (a mediaplayer) are not able to see the shares.

Is it a better way to correct these bindings and the missing other settings? Possibly a tool to manage SMB settings?

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Since that the issue still persists, we recommend that you go back to the previous build of Windows you had before the Creators Update. Kindly refer to this Wiki article created by J W Stuart for the steps: How to recover a previous build(s) or your original version of Windows using the Recovery or Rollback feature. After that, please check if the issue was resolved.

Let us know the results.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you. Since I've managed to restore most of the functionality of Samba shares and after 3 weeks of flawless use i've deleted the previus Windows files I cannot and don't want to revert back to that. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I have the same problem and exploring it intensively. I suggest you join me on the problem on server fault portal.
NetBT is not bound to any devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 8, 2019 Views 3,385 Applies to: