Cannot see any computers in network, windows 11

Hello

I cannot see any computers or other shared items under Network in Windows 11, even the laptop I am on right now.

I have checked all the settings are proper.

Please help.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Tasneem,
I'm Sumit, here to answer your query at the Microsoft Community.

This problem usually occurs when one of the services is not working properly.

Via
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fil...

Turn on network discovery and file and printer sharing, and turn off password protected sharing.

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & internet , and on the right side, select Sharing options.

Under Private, select Turn on Network discovery and Turn on file and printer sharing.

Under All Networks, select Turn off password protected sharing.

Make sharing services start automatically.

Press the Windows logo key + R.

In the Run dialog box, type services.msc, and then select OK.

Right-click each of the following services, select Properties, if they're not running, select Start, and next to Startup type, select Automatic:

Function Discovery Provider Host

Function Discovery Resource Publication

SSDP Discovery

UPnP Device Host

Hope that helps, and rely on us for any further inquiries. All the best.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

See if this fix helps you (works with Windows 11 as well):

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-file-explorer-not-showing-network-computers

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft MVP (Windows IT Pro), since 2014 · Windows Insider MVP, since 2016 · Windows Help (www.kapilarya.com)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Tasneem,
I'm Sumit, here to answer your query at the Microsoft Community.

This problem usually occurs when one of the services is not working properly.

Via
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fil...

Turn on network discovery and file and printer sharing, and turn off password protected sharing.

Select the Start button, then select Settings > Network & internet , and on the right side, select Sharing options.

Under Private, select Turn on Network discovery and Turn on file and printer sharing.

Under All Networks, select Turn off password protected sharing.

Make sharing services start automatically.

Press the Windows logo key + R.

In the Run dialog box, type services.msc, and then select OK.

Right-click each of the following services, select Properties, if they're not running, select Start, and next to Startup type, select Automatic:

Function Discovery Provider Host

Function Discovery Resource Publication

SSDP Discovery

UPnP Device Host

Hope that helps, and rely on us for any further inquiries. All the best.

This worked, thanks.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

See if this fix helps you (works with Windows 11 as well):

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-file-explorer-not-showing-network-computers

Let us know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP.

This is similar to the above post. So this also worked, I am thinking. Thanks

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Awesome! Thank you for letting us know.

To help others with a similar issue, consider marking the thread as answered by pressing Yes below the appropriate post. Have a good week.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have went through all the procedures by setting them to Automatic and the Network still does not work. Laptop sees itself in Network but nothing else. Laptop1 sees Latop but not itself. ShackPC does not see Laptop or Laptop1 but does see itself.

Anymore ideas?

ShackPC and Laptop1 is Windows 10

Laptop is Windows 11.

I am using wired network and not wireless.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I have the same problem. I have two Windows 11 PCs on my in-house network, one Tower computer and one Laptop. I cannot see either computer from the Laptop under "Network" with Windows Explorer and I can see only the Laptop under "Network" from the Tower PC with Windows Explorer. My Tower windows computer is ethernet connected to my router, while my laptop uses wi-fi to the same router. Both PCs are Windows 11 version 22H2 with the latest patches (as of the end of Aug 2023). Both have the 4 services running (and set to automatic) as mentioned in an earlier part of this thread. Both are on the same private network, and both have network discovery on as well as file and print sharing on (and password sharing off).

Just as a note, I have also shared two folders (one on each computer) between the two PCs by mapping each folder on the other PC as a network drive. That works fine as either PC sees the shared folder on the other computer through the mapped drive. The visibility problem seems to be related to Windows File Explorer but I'm not sure. Is it possible that there is some "view" setting in Windows Explorer that needs to be turned on that I am not aware of?

Since the suggested fixes mentioned earlier in this thread do not solve the visibility problem, any additional ideas would be appreciated.

Bob S

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reboot your router and see if it picks up and shows all your devices in File Explorer>Network. If it doesn't then you need to check and see if SMB 1.0 is selected. See the image below.

ImageHere are two ways to get to and see if SMB 1.0 is selected. First you can open the Control

Panel and find it there.

You can also search for it.

ImageAnytime you reboot your computer all the devices may disappear requiring a reboot of the router again to see them. This has been my experience. I have Windows 11 Pro with all updates.

I just rebooted my router to get all my devices to show. Click on, tap, or activate image to enlarge it.

H. E. W.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks,

I rebooted the router that didn't help.

I then changed the Windows feature "SMB 1.0" setting on both computers (I checked the box as you indicated). That made a difference. Now the Tower computer displays both itself and the Laptop PC with Windows Explorer Network but the Laptop only display itself under Windows Explorer Network (and not the Tower computer). I tried doing a "refresh" of the network on Windows Explorer on the Laptop but that did not help. So the problem is not quite fully solved yet.

Both of my PCs have the Windows 11 home version installed. Neither computer seems to have Windows feature "SMB direct" as an option that I could select that you included in your reply above so obviously that feature could not be turned on. Is that feature missing by design on Windows 11 home edition or does it have nothing to do with my issue?

One further question, I was under the impression that the feature "SMB 1.0 file sharing support" was not as secure as the later versions of the same feature. Will leaving it on create any increased network security vulnerabilities?

Windows Explorer on the Tower PC now displays the network correctly but the laptop only shows itself (even after a reboot) and waiting several minutes. Can you think of anything else that I might be able to try so Tower PC will be displayed on Windows explorer at the Laptop?

Thanks in advance for your help

Bob S

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have heard the same thing about SMB 1.0, but I haven't had any problems. I have McAfee Total Protection on all my computers, a desktop and two laptops.

Tomorrow I will turn on both my laptops and see if they show everything on my network. I do have all three set up for sharing. See example image below for my desktop.

H. E. W.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 15,150 Applies to: