Cannot restore from the backup.bkf file.

Using an HP TouchSmart IQ504 running Vista Home Premium began having system errors on startup. Forced to use the HP Recovery Manager to creat a backup.bkf and restore the system to factory defaults. System now back up and running, however, the HP Recovery Manager does not have a restore backup utility. Go figure. Using NTBackup.exe casues a "The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used". Spent hours with HP tech support and the only solution they offered was a third party $150 SW to repair the corrupted .bkf file. Any suggestions?

Since the backup was created by HP software (and it doesn't work with the ordinary Vista Restore process), then the problem is HP's as it is their software that created the backup - not Microsoft's.  Call back and ask for a supervisor and explain the problem - maybe this time you'll get someone who actually knows about the process and the program.  I cannot believe there is no restore option unless the program actually uses Vista's program to do the backup (but then Vista's restore should recover it and they should have told you that).  According to: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01153867&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3752240&lang=en, you should be using Vista to do the backups so I'm not sure what is on the HP Recovery Manager disk.

From what you said, you don't even know if the backup file is corrupt - just that it is unrecognized (perhaps because it was created with different software).  So you don't know if this $150 program will even resolve the problem.  I wouldn't spend that kind of money on anything but a certain resolution (and even then, that's a lot of money for a one-time use program).  Here is a link with a number of FREE .BkF recovery programs that may fix the file:http://www.fileguru.com/apps/bkf_freeware.  Since I don't know how it was created, it was hard to choose an option - but perhaps any Microsoft option will work if we are trying to restore using the Microsoft Restore process (assuming this is even the problem).

The only other option I can think of is to take the backup to a data recovery technician who will be very expensive and will offer no guarantees - but it's your decision how important it is to recover that data.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reply In reply to deleted message

There is a reply in your other thread: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistarepair/thread/3f231eab-87ff-4c20-a2d7-6271957abbde.

Please post questions only once in these forums.

Thanks and good luck!

Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the advice. I agree that this whole thing is bazaar. The HP tech confirmed that the HP Revovery Manager didn't include a restore function and said that the only resolution was the $150 soultion. He sent me the link to the free trial download that did open the .bkf but wouldn't allow a save unless a license was purchased. The HP Revovery Manager did restore the system to normal function but I lost all personal data contained in the backup.

Thanks again. I appreciate the assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FYI - None of the software on the site listed above is free. Yes, they have a free download that opened my .bkf but a fully functional version is $89 - $149

Appreciate the hlep though. I'm going to try HP again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That product is not freeware either - why doesn't Microsoft provide their own tool? The majority of .bkf corruptions are due to Microsoft's own bugs.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Root of this problem

NTBackup tool creates catalog files for every BKF file and of every backup operation which is completed. These files are stored in the following folder on your Windows computer:

%SystemRoot%\Documents and Settings\Account\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs

The Catalog files are shown under the Restore tab of NTBackup utility, so that you can select the part of backup file that you want to restore.

When you create more than one backup at a time, the catalog files share identical timestamp attribute. In this case, the backup set that was attributed first, emerges under the Restore tab. Other backups started concurrently do not appear under the Restore tab and you can’t add them manually.

This process corrupts BKF file and bkf repair becomes necessary to achieve precise recovery.

WHY CAN'T MICROSOFT MAN UP AND PROVIDE A SOLUTION TO THEIR OWN PROBLEM INSTEAD OF FORCING CONSUMERS TO PURCHASE A SOLUTION FROM A 3RD PARTY?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2018 Views 2,787 Applies to: