Cannot print on local printer while using Remote desktop Connection.

Details:

Remote desktop Host is Windows 7 Professional

Remote desktop Clients are windows 7 Professional and Windows 8

After the host machine was automatically updated with the following updates: 

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

followed by the codes (in order)
(KB2979575v2)
(KB2972215)
(KB2972106)
(KB2931365)
(KB2901110v2)
(KB2898855v2)
(KB2894842v2)
(KB2858302v2)
(KB2840628v2)
(KB2840628)
(KB2835393)
(KB2804576)
(KB2789642)
(KB2742595)
(KB2737019)
(KB2736428)
(KB2729449)
(KB2656351)
(KB2604121)

The client machines can no longer print to their local printer.  If i restore the host machine to an earlier restore point, everything works correctly.  No other changes have been made to either the host or client machines.  I have made sure that the clients have the option to print selected in the RDC preferences and that the Enable Printer Pooling is checked but still the same issue.  If I connect via RDC from a Mac, I am able to print to my local printer so I know the printer drivers are on the host machine.  Therefore, I feel that the issue lies on the windows client side but i've made sure the client is updated with all Windows updates.  Any thoughts?  

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in Microsoft Community.

Please be assured that we would do our best to assist you.

Please answer the following question which would help us to provide a better solution.

1. Is the computer connected to a Domain?
  2. Do you get any error message while printing?

If the computer is connected to a Domain, I would suggest you to post your query on the below mentioned website which is TechNet forums, where we have experts.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=w8itprogeneral

Hope this information is helpful.

Please do get back to us if the computer is not connected to a Domain network, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Giridhar, 

Thanks for responding.  my computers are in a workgroup, not a Domain.  There are no errors when printing because I don't even see the printer as an option.  

When I remotely connect using Remote Desktop Connection, there is a document on the Host machine that I want to print.  if i e-mail the document to myself, I can print from the client computer on my home printer so I know the printer works.  If I remotely connect to the same user profile using Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection on my Mac, I CAN print the document on my home printer.  This tells me 3 things: 1) the printer is working fine, 2) host machine is set up correctly to allow the print to be redirected across the Remote Desktop Connection and 3) the problem is NOT with the user profile on the Host machine.  

The strange thing is this started happening after the above installs were installed on the Host Machine.  I have reverted back to restore point just prior to the updates and everything works fine.  However, this update is a critical update for security reasons and since this is my main work computer i need to have this update installed.  

Thoughts?

Thank you. 

Eric

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for providing all the information required.

I can understand the inconvenience this may have caused, but rest assured, we are here to help you and guide you in the right direction.

This issue could be caused due to conflict of Windows updates with the installed drivers.

I suggest you to follow the below method to fix the issue.

Install updates in a bunch of 3, to identify the update causing the problem.

Follow the below steps to install updates in a bunch of 3.

1. Press Windows Key + X.
  2. Click on control panel.
  3. Click on Windows updates.
  4. Click on Change settings from the left pane.
  5. Change the settings to Check for updates but let me choose whether to download & install them.
  6. Click ok.
  7. Click on Check for updates from the left pane.
  8. Select 3 updates at a time and try installing them and check if issue persists.

If issue persists make a note of the KB article and reply back to us so that we can provide the appropriate steps to install the update fixing the driver conflict.

Hope this resolves the issue. If issue persists, you can write to us and we will be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, after working with Microsoft support on another issue, I no longer have restore points to move back to so all the updates have been installed.  Am I able to remove these updates, perhaps 3 at a time to see when it starts working again? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your valuable reply.

Please do not uninstall any updates if all of the updates are installed. I suggest you to remove the printer completely from the Host Computer and add the printer again and share among the Client computers.

Follow the methods provided below to fix the issue.

Method 1: Uninstall and reinstall the USB drivers from the device manager.

Uninstall the printer drivers from device manager.

1. Log in to the Host Computer.
  2. Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
  3. Search for Printer Drivers and expand it.
  4. Right click on the Printer Drivers and select Uninstall, check box delete printer driver.

Method 2:

1. Press Windows Key + R.
  2. Type “Control” and press enter.
  3. Select “Hardware and Sound”.
  4. Select ‘Devices and Printers”.
  5. Right click on the Local Printer installed and click Delete. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Method 3: Uninstall Printer Software

I suggest you to follow the below provided article and uninstall the printer software installed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uninstall-change-program#uninstall-change-program=windows-7

Method 4: Install the Printer

1. Go to the printer Manufacturer Website and download the latest printer driver and Software for your printer.
  2. Then Press Windows Key + R.
  3. Type “Control” and press enter.
  4. Select “Hardware and Sound”.
  5. Select ‘Devices and Printers”.
  6. Select Add a printer.
  7. In the Add Printer Wizard, select Add a local printer or Network printer depending on the printer and follow the On screen instructions.
  8. Share the printer to the Clint computers.

In addition, you may refer the below help article for further assistance.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-printer#install-printer=windows-7

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 15, 2024 Views 9,567 Applies to: