Cannot open Call of Duty Modern Warfare - have eliminated the game and it's servers. Issue must be on my side.

Hello, I am having trouble with a newly purchased COD Modern Warfare (The newest one $60.00) from the Blizzard Launcher App.

Problem: When I click on the PLAY button (in Beta app or Standard app) it shows that it is launching, I get the spinning blue wheel that indicates the computer is thinking, and it finally resets back to a PLAY button.
When I select the application (.exe) from it's respective folder, the same thing occurs.

Troubleshooting Steps taken: Disabled every service that is not a Microsoft service and restarted. 
Used the Scan and Repair function (Twice), Reinstalled the game (Twice). 
Ensured that NOTHING was running in the background using the task manager. 
Pulled RAM and Graphics card from motherboard, cleaned both properly, reinstalled drivers and rebooted. 
Went to my Activision account and linked my Battle.net account to it.
I shut down all the applications that are running in the background and restarted, performing a clean boot.
I'm using a wired internet connection.
I don't have overclocking enabled.
I don't have any sort of Overly software
Cleared Battle.net cache
Tried running VRAM under maximum and default settings.
I only have one monitor
I Removed antivirus/antimalware - (After doing a scan, which came up clean)
I Added an exception for both the game and B.net launcher to the Firewall and Windows Defender.
Also added a direct GPU selection within the NVIDIA Control Panel forcing the game to always use the GPU installed.
-------------------
Viewing the EVENT MANAGER
I pulled the log for when I open the game and receive the following.
Faulting application name: ModernWarfare.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f46f008
Faulting module name: ModernWarfare.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f46f008
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x00000000021e2da6
Faulting process id: 0x4438
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67f3c25aa7124
Faulting application path: D:\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\ModernWarfare.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\ModernWarfare.exe
Report Id: 4603670d-cd57-4d0a-87f1-7dbd2ea1e931
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Hi Jeramiah, Check this out

https://www.getdroidtips.com/fix-warzone-modern...

If it still the same, I'd suggest to contact with Activision.
https://twitter.com/atviassist

Note/Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Regards,
Ralph

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for the reply, I did contact Activision Support, after a 2.5 hour wait, I was given the instructions of what I wrote as completed TS steps.
Now I'm at this step with no idea how to proceed..
I followed your link and did the following:

1. Update Drivers from GeForce Experience

2. Delete Players Folder from Directory (Since I've never opened the game, this doesn't exist to delete)

3. Change Value in the Registry Editor

4. Use an Additional Command Argument

None of the above worked sadly.
Anyone else have any ideas?

Jeramiah Gladden

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Can you do a clean boot and test the game.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/929135...

Regards,
Ralph

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just did again, with no change.
I've done that during a couple of my TS Steps above. with no change during those attempts either.
Jeramiah Gladden

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Can we do a repair install of your windows.
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repai...

Note/Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Regards,
Ralph

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

- It's hard getting details about the game. The sites are so hyped up with marketing and grand images.

(Whoa! 175 GB storage space ? I thought Red Dead 2 was big.)

Are you having problems with both the COD-MW single player campaign, or only the COD-MW multi-player\COOP,

and  COD-MW: Warzone season 5 ?

- If you are running other games without similar problems Windows is not likely at fault (unless the new season requires Win10 v2004

and you are still on Win10 v1903 ?), but it looks like you have covered the more common fix suggestions.

If a lot of people at the COD forums are having multi-player problems since a recent multi-player\battle-royal update the

update may be the cause of your problems ?

- What brand and model cpu, and what model Nvidia gpu does you machine use ?  Laptop or Desktop ?

- I doubt the game would launch successfully using an integrated gpu as the game requirements specify a minimum of 2GB VRAM

(more on VRAM below).

Is the game trying to launch using your machines integrated graphics (sounds like laptop then). If so, are you able to verify

if the game is actually managing to switch to the Nvidia gpu ?
If not ... GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility  may be helpful.

- Do you have GeForce Experience installed ? If so, this may be conflicting with your Control Panel settings. The Experience

has also been know to cause problem with some games in the past too.

- Or, if you are using a Desktop machine you could try disabling the integrated graphics via Device Manager > Display Adapters

(reboot may be required), or in BIOS. This should force the machine to boot using the dedicated gpu.

This may not be possible with laptops though as they are designed to boot with the integrated gpu to save power.

- Is the Command Line you tried in the games shortcut Target box ? If so, did you leave a space between end of the target and -d3d11 ?

(I don't imagine it would help if the game has never been launched though, as the game would normally default to DX11 settings first time.)

Have you re-set this and the Registry tweaks back to original when they didn't work ?

btw -

"Tried running VRAM under maximum and default settings."

- Are you speaking of the system RAM that gets allocated to an integrated graphics processor that mfg's of laptops

often refer to as Video RAM ?  This is not actually VRAM.

VRAM is only found on your dedicated gpu and there are no settings for changing VRAM.

"I don't have any sort of Overly software"

- Overlays are found in various gaming client software, such as Steam, UPlay, EPIC and EA Origin.

Overlays are sometimes enabled by default and have been known to cause problems with some games, but not so much

with games released in the past few years.

In Steam the overlay options can be found in your Steam clients  Settings > In-Game  tab.

The other game client software have similar options.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just so we're clear on what happens - the above is taken live from my computer, when I click on Play - it show's launching, Goes back to Play.

And each time I do this, there is an EVENT LOG

Viewing the EVENT MANAGER
--------
Faulting application name: ModernWarfare.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f46f008
Faulting module name: ModernWarfare.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f46f008
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x00000000021e2da6
Faulting process id: 0x4438
Faulting application start time: 0x01d67f3c25aa7124
Faulting application path: D:\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\ModernWarfare.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\ModernWarfare.exe
Report Id: 4603670d-cd57-4d0a-87f1-7dbd2ea1e931
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

----------------------------------------------------

- (Whoa! 175 GB storage space ? I thought Red Dead 2 was big.) Actually 224 GB is the opening install amount - ugh!

Are you having problems with both the COD-MW single player campaign, or only the COD-MW multi-player\COOP,

and  COD-MW: Warzone season 5 ?  I have never even opened the game.  The exe. I'm opening is the full COD-MW Full Game. - I don't have different exe's for single player or MP.

- If you are running other games without similar problems Windows is not likely at fault (unless the new season requires Win10 v2004

and you are still on Win10 v1903 ?), but it looks like you have covered the more common fix suggestions.

This was not suggested anywhere - I am still on v1903 - I will update to v2004

If a lot of people at the COD forums are having multi-player problems since a recent multi-player\battle-royal update the

update may be the cause of your problems ?  As far as I can tell, many people have had this same problem, and NONE of the original posters of those problems have come back saying it was fixed.   There are always plenty of people posting that XYZ worked for them but who knows if that's BS or not?

- What brand and model CPU, and what model NVIDIA GPU does you machine use ?  Laptop or Desktop ?

Desktop

AMD Athlon II x4 640 Processor 3.00 GHz

24 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU

6GB of VRAM 

- I doubt the game would launch successfully using an integrated GPU as the game requirements specify a minimum of 2GB VRAM

(more on VRAM below).

Is the game trying to launch using your machines integrated graphics (sounds like laptop then). If so, are you able to verify

if the game is actually managing to switch to the NVIDIA GPU ?
If not ... GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility  may be helpful.  I went into the NVIDIA control panel and forced the computer to choose the NVIDIA card. 

- Do you have GeForce Experience installed ? If so, this may be conflicting with your Control Panel settings. The Experience

has also been know to cause problem with some games in the past too. I do have GeForce Experience - but the Clean Boot I spoke about above bypasses this program.

- Or, if you are using a Desktop machine you could try disabling the integrated graphics via Device Manager > Display Adapters

(reboot may be required), or in BIOS. This should force the machine to boot using the dedicated gpu.

This may not be possible with laptops though as they are designed to boot with the integrated gpu to save power.

N/A

- Is the Command Line you tried in the games shortcut Target box ? If so, did you leave a space between end of the target and -d3d11 ?  The command line was placed within the Blizzard Launcher, and I have verified just now that there are no spaces... but good thought!

(I don't imagine it would help if the game has never been launched though, as the game would normally default to DX11 settings first time.)

Have you re-set this and the Registry tweaks back to original when they didn't work ?  Yes - reset

btw -

"Tried running VRAM under maximum and default settings."

- Are you speaking of the system RAM that gets allocated to an integrated graphics processor that mfg's of laptops

often refer to as Video RAM ?  This is not actually VRAM.

VRAM is only found on your dedicated gpu and there are no settings for changing VRAM.

This was a request by Activision support, and I intrepreted this to go into the NVIDIA control panel and change the amount of VRAM allocated to the game... to be honest I didn't really find anything.   But from my research there really wasn't anything I could do.   This TS step should be ignored :-)

"I don't have any sort of Overly software"

- Overlays are found in various gaming client software, such as Steam, UPlay, EPIC and EA Origin.

Overlays are sometimes enabled by default and have been known to cause problems with some games, but not so much

with games released in the past few years.

In Steam the overlay options can be found in your Steam clients  Settings > In-Game  tab.

The other game client software have similar options.
The Clean Boot bypasses the overlay possibility

Thank you very much for your continued help with this.
I appreciate it very very much!

Jeramiah Gladden

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have updated to Windows 10 v2004 - there was no change :(
Jeramiah Gladden

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

- OK then. Desktops should never try to launch a game using their integrated graphics (which, judging by the cpu, I expect would

be on the mobo  with your machine), because they should only be able to use the igpu if it is connected to a monitor .

- Clean Boot may bypass the overlay if you have the Blizzard (or similar) client set up to launch with Windows at startup.

But if your game clients only load when you launch a game (what I do), Clean Boot won't help as it only works with

Services and Startup programs.Regardless, disabling the overlay from the clients settings may still be worth a try.

- Ah! Right, I forgot Steam and other client software have this Command Line option. I don't often launch games from

my Libraries in Steam, etc. A space is not required in this instance. Only when using a Desktop shortcut.
I reckon there should be no issue using DX12 effects games with an Nvidia 900 series card, as they are fully DX12 compatible.

Unless the game has a bug (maybe due to update ?) in it's DX12 effects.

- How is your 24GB RAM configured ? Have you added 2X4GB to 2X8GB or the other way around ? Whichever is the case,

try removing the 8GB just to verify the mismatched RAM is not involved.

I've yet to come on a game that comes close to using 16GB System RAM with my normal background app load out.

But if you were to have a bunch of other stuff loaded in the background that brings the RAM use to 16+ GB,

that may be part of the problem.

- Or...

Your cpu (the AthlonII series), is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I expect there were never any dedicated cpu related Win10 drivers

released by the mfg of your motherboard.

I had a machine with a Phenom II 965 and even didn't bother trying to install Win10 (5 yrs ago) on that machine because of this.

Problem is, yes Windows Updates may install suitable generic drivers and they may work with most things, but no guarantee

of full performance. Particularly with newer game technologies.

Leaving that aside (and putting my 1st pick last), the games minimum cpu requirements is for an FX-6300 which has a base speed of

3500MHz w/ 4100MHz turbo boost, vs 3000MHz on your Athlon II 640, so the game may be rejecting the cpu, causing it to stop loading ?

- All the RAM, cpu stuff are more about best practice, so none of the above may actually be the source of your evil in this instance.

But as the problem is only with the one game... Murphy's Law may have been invoked ...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you all for the help and advice.
No one ever comes back to say what the finale is of their issue.

Well, I gave up.
I got in contact with Blizzard and requested a refund.

Pro tip - Blizzard and Activision have a 3 day refund policy.
Buy a game and keep it 3 days, you own it forever.
My only saving grace was it was 3.5 days and I had never actually opened the game up.

Good luck out there if you have this problem.  I was never able to get it to work.

Cheers

Tamorand

Jeramiah Gladden

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 12, 2023 Views 3,608 Applies to: