Cannot Login after Enabling UAC

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.  Everything has been working fine, but recently I decided to enable UAC to allow me to verify updates to my programs before they are installed.

I enabled UAC via Control Panel>User Accounts>Change User Account Control Settings Where I moved the slider from NEVER NOTIFY to NOTIFY ME ONLY WHEN PROGRAMS TRY TO MAKE CHANGES TO MY COMPUTER.  After selecting OK, the system says I need to reboot for the change to take effect.

After reboot, when I sign in I get this message "User profile service failed the login.  User profile cannot be loaded."

I have been able to go back to where I was by going into Safe Mode (where my login works okay) and either doing a RESTORE or by going in and changing back the UAC setting back to the NEVER NOTIFY.

I have tried it multiple times with reboots and power downs/power ups ... All with the same result.

Can someone help me fix the problem so that I may enable UAC?

After reboot, when I sign in I get this message "User profile service failed the login.  User profile cannot be loaded."

This is a very common problem and you will get a very large number of helpful links when you ask Google like so:

User profile service failed the login

I also recommend that you set up a spare admin account in order to reduce the dependency on your one and only admin account.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the input.  Unfortunately, I had already done that and tried all I could find.

In particular, I tried the REGEDIT suggestions to change the REFCOUNT and STATE for the profile.  This did not help and I noted that the changes I made to the registry were back to what they were before I edited.  I'm not sure if they were restored during the reboot or not, but the bottom line is that I still received the same error when I tried to login.

Note that I used the SFC function in the CMD window (elevated to run as Admin) and it found no corrupted files.

I will continue to "google" for solutions, but I am hoping that someone responds to this post with guidance that can get me to a solution.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been able to go back to where I was by going into Safe Mode (where my login works okay) and either doing a RESTORE or by going in and changing back the UAC setting back to the NEVER NOTIFY.

It is unclear if System Restore fixed the problem. If it did then I would do this:

1. Create two extra admin accounts.
  2. Test them.
  3. Modify UAC as desired.

You might find that the new accounts do not suffer from the problem. If this is the case then you may have to abandon the failing account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As you suggested, I created two Admin accounts (in Safe Mode).  Both of these exhibit the same behavior as my original Admin Account (with UAC enabled - login fails, turn off UAC in Safe Mode then logins okay in normal boot up).

Are there settings for UAC (in registry) that can turn off UAC screening for the admin account?  I mean to turn all of them off so that no checks or confirmations are active.  On my system, UAC on seems to not allow access to the user account folder (at least that is my interpretation).

By the way, I have scanned my system with TDSKiller, Malwarebytes Ant-Malware and Panda Antivirus.  None of these found anything.  I also did a SFC to check for corrupted system files ... Result no errors found.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is still unclear if System Restore (rstrui.exe) solved your problem. Please note that System Restore and Safe Mode are two completely different things.

UAC is either on or off. It does not distinguish between accounts.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have done a System Restore Multiple Times after trying to enable UAC and having it fail.  System Restore got me back to where I was before first trying to enable UAC and having my login fail.  After doing the System Restore I have again tried to enable UAC with the same results.  I believe that the System Restore does not solve the problem.  It only gets me back to being able to login with UAC disabled.

If I am not answering your question re: System Restore, please elaborate and I will try to clear things up.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a note from a different thread. Its author solved the problem like so:

1. He renamed C:\Users\Default to Default.org
  2. He used robocopy.exe  /s to copy C:\Users\Default from a working machine to a flash disk.
  3. He used robocopy.exe  /s to copy the Default folder from the flash disk to C:\Users
  4. He created a new admin account while in Safe Mode.

The process was fully reversible because he saved the original Default folder.

Since I have never experienced the problem myself there is nothing else I can contribute.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I copied the Default from my laptop (running Windows 7 Professional) to the PC with the UAC enabled problems.  I created two Admin accounts ... one with password and one without.  I then enabled UAC and rebooted.

My original Account (admin with password) still shows login failed.  The New Admin with password accepted the login, but then after some time, the screen went blank and all I had was my cursor arrow that was active.  I found that by hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL the Normal Screen would come up with the options Lock this Computer, Switch User, Log Off, Change a Password ... , Start Task Manager.  Obviously my keyboard is active since it brought that up.

I tried Start Task Manger with the hope that it would show up, but the result was the screen returning to Blank with the arrow cursor.

I should also mention that I found that with UAC enabled a non-Admin account sign-in gives the same login failed messages as my original Admin account ("User profile service failed the login.  User profile cannot be loaded.").

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like it's time to bite the bullet and go for a reload. Why not take out an insurance policy and create an image of the finished product, to be used in case trouble strikes again? It's saved me on several occasions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 13, 2021 Views 464 Applies to: