Cannot Install XPS Viewer in Windows 10

I am currently running a virtual machine on machine that does not have access to the internet. I am attempting to install the XPS Viewer on the machine but have had no luck.

I have tried the DISM command and have also tried the route adding the feature as suggested here: https://winaero.com/blog/install-xps-viewer-windows-10-version-1803/

Both solutions do not work. When attempting to install it via Apps & Features, XPS Viewer is simply not listed. When attempting to install it via DISM, I get the following error after executing, Dism /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:XPS.Viewer~~~~0.1.0.0, Error: 0x8024402c. I believe this error code is related to not being to use the Windows Update Server. So I tried this:

Dism /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:XPS.Viewer~~~~0.1.0.0 /LimitAccess

This returns Error: 87 and says: A Windows capability name was not recognized. So it appears that the feature is only available online. Is that a correct assumption? If so how can I get this installed without access to the internet?

*Modified title for accuracy*

*Original title: Cannot Install XPS Viewer in Latest Windows 10 Build*

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Not sure if this has been resolved from the previous comments. But I was able to find a solution.

*Go to regedit - 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Change 'UseWUServer' value data to '0'

1. disconnect from corporate network (ethernet or VPN) and connect to only a public wifi (home/starbucks/etc)

2. Windows+R - type in optionalfeatures and hit enter

3. uncheck Microsoft XPS Document Writer and click ok. Then go back in and check the box and click ok.

4. restart machine

5. go to Apps & Features in Settings from Start Menu

6. click Manage optional features

7. click + Add a feature

8. XPS Viewer should now be listed for installation

*Go to regedit - 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

Change 'UseWUServer' value data back to '0'

-----

Note from Moderator: It is recommended to create a System Restore point before modifying registry. 

-----

78 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Many people try this with no error, but unable to install the XPS viewer because of a GPO setting.
Change this to Enabled:
Optional Features,e.g. XPS Viewer.
Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Specify settings for optional component installation and component repair
Tick: Download repair content and optional features...

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 24, 2024 Views 103,779 Applies to: