Cannot install Windows 10 1909 cumulative update

HI so i was just trying to update my laptop and then the windows 10 cumulative update 2021 started downloading. after downloading it started installing then the installing screen was stuck at 70% only i was using the settings app to update. pls help me fix this issue and after i paused the update and restarted my laptop it was showing update failed 2021 cumulative update for windows 1909. what is the solution? Pls help me
Hi Shivshankar_828 -

I'm Kevin B. Independent advisor and a Windows user like you. I do apologize for the inconvenience that you experiencing right now, let me help you sort things out.

This usually occurs when windows update services are not running properly on your computer. If your having an issue updating the computer or is receiving an error code whenever you try to download or install an update.

first thing that you need to do is to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. The troubleshooter will attempt to identify the issue and will fix it. Please follow the steps on the link below to perform the Update troubleshooter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win...

Run the update again on your computer and check if the same issue persist.

If the above steps didn't resolve the issue, please perform the below troubleshooting manually on your computer.

1. Open the command prompt as administrator on your computer
2. Type each command below and press enter after each command

net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc

You may need to run the command more than ones until you see the message that the service has stopped successfully.
(Note: Make sure that all those command will stop the services otherwise the next command will not work)

3. Type the following commands to clear the Windows Update cache to allow Windows 10 re-download the updates, instead of using the files already downloaded on your system that might be damaged

ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot catroot.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak

(Note: Make sure that those folders will be renamed by running those command)

Type the command below to reset the bits and windows update security descriptor to default.

sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)

4. Restart the update services on the computer. On the same command prompt (running as administrator), type each command below and press enter after each command

net start wuauserv
net start bits
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc

5. Perform cleanboot on your computer. A cleanboot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update that may cause issues updating your PC.

Click on the link below and follow the steps in performing cleanboot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135...

6. Repair and Restore system files to make sure that no system files are causing the issue with your update

Open the command prompt and type each command below. Press enter after each command:

sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Please disable any 3rd party security software that you have to ensure that those applications is not blocking the installation of updates.

Restart your computer and run the update again.

Hope this will help and have a bless day!

Thanks.
Kevin B.
Independent advisor

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

HI so i was just trying to update my laptop and then the windows 10 cumulative update 2021 started downloading. after downloading it started installing then the installing screen was stuck at 70% only i was using the settings app to update. pls help me fix this issue and after i paused the update and restarted my laptop it was showing update failed 2021 cumulative update for windows 1909. what is the solution? Pls help me

I recommend to:

Enable a clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-hk/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Open an admin cmd and run:

sfc /scannow

then

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Try  again.

If problem persists you will need to check most recent CBS log files from: C:\windows\logs\cbs

Regards, 

Juan S.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 16, 2022 Views 958 Applies to: