Cannot Install Update 1903

It fails at 60% complete every time, telling me

"Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation."

Thus far, I have attempted to install it:

1) As prompted by the XBox Gamepass for Windows installer

2) Directly through Windows Update

3) With a USB and then a CD created using the Media Creation Tool

4) Using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant

I have also tried clearing out my software distribution folder and running the Windows Update repair tool. If anyone has any recommendations I am all ears.

Question Info

Last updated October 18, 2019 Views 10,129 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I’ve managed to fix this issue for myself, I too was having the exact same message pop up at exactly 60%, and was unable to disable IIS. 

What worked for me was this:

1. Boot in Safe Mode

2. Delete the contents of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

if like myself you have issues regarding permissions and it won’t authorise you to delete them, rename the folder to something else, move it elsewhere (desktop will do) and create a new MachineKeys folder in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\ - effectively giving you the same result as deleting the files in there as you’ll now have an empty folder. 

3. Rename C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv to inetsrv.old

4. Boot back up in normal mode

5.  Go to Control Panel - Uninstall a Program

6. Go to Turn Windows features on or off

7. Uncheck ‘Internet Information Services’, click okay and pray that it doesn’t encounter an error.

After spending days attempting to find a way to disable IIS, this is what worked for me. Once I succeeded I applied the update to 1903 and it worked, no freezing at 60%! 

If anyone still has issues after trying this, say so and I’ll look back through this thread and list anything I have done that hasn’t already been suggested.

67 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.