Cannot install Power Toys

I run Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I just tried to install the latest Power Toys, but was "blocked by administrator." A website suggesting setting up an admin account and install it from there. I created the administrator account, logged into it, right-clicked on the installer, and clicked on "Run as Administrator." I still got the "blocked by administrator" message. After I logged back into my normal account, I downloaded and ran the Install/Uninstall Troubleshooter, but it couldn't find anything wrong. I'm already having trouble with updating OneNote (although other programs update without trouble [I'll spare you those details for now.]). How do I get the Power Toys to install?

Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you’re facing issues when installing apps on your PC, and I certainly appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.

We will certainly look into this for you.

For further clarity on the issue, please respond to the questions below:

1. Which build version of Windows 10 are you using currently?

2. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to which you weren’t facing this issue?

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1: Run DISM scan

Try running DISM scan on your PC to see if the corrupted system files are repaired. Refer the article Using System File Checker in Windows 10

Method 2:  Perform In-place upgrade

Try performing a repair installation. This will repair all the corrupted files and services on the system. You can refer the article How to perform an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 Step-by-Step Guide by Paulsey…

Note: Please do take a backup of your data before performing the installation.

Let us know how it goes, if the issue persists, we will certainly assist you further.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

First, your questions:

1. Build number: 19043.1110

2. I had disconnected the spooler; it's intended to prevent Printnightmare, but blocks OneNote installation/update.

Now, for your suggestions:

1. DISM: I ran sfc /scannow, DISM /checkhealth, DISM /scanhealth, DISM /restorehealth, DISM /startcomponent cleanup, sfc; results: OneNote didn't install (error 0x800706D9); Power Toys didn't install (admin block)

2. Reinstall: OneNote did install (spooler evidently unblocked); Power Toys didn't install (admin block)

I'm halfway there, but Power Toys still didn't install. (Note: earlier, I created a "formal" Administrator account and logged in but still couldn't install Power Toys there, either.) What should I try next?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Folks, I finally got Power Toys installed. I use CryptoProtect, so I shifted (temporarily) to a lower level of protection (I'll shift back after I'm finished with one antivirus program). When I ran the installer "as Administrator," I had no problems.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 27, 2024 Views 3,722 Applies to: