Cannot get into laptop after signing in

I signed into my Microsoft account and then restarted my computer. The start up screen shows my Microsoft user name and I click to sign in. I enter the correct password and then it asks me to set up my pin. This doesn’t work, so it gives me the option to skip this step, so I skip it and click next. And then nothing happens. The dots just keep circling but it never lets me into the computer. The screen goes black, but my curser is still visible and the lights on the keyboard are on, but nothing functions. I’ve restarted like 5 times and every time same thing.

Hi and thanks for reaching out. My name is Bernard a Windows fan like you. I'll be happy to help you out today.

I understand the issue you have, there is nothing to worry I am here to help, this error actually occurs when there is a corrupted system file on the PC, and for us to sort out the issue, kindly follow the steps below:

Step 1. We need to login to safe mode

On the login page of the PC:

Press and hold the Shift key on the Keyboard, then click the Power icon on the screen then click restart

Note: Make sure you press and hold the Shift key while doing the process to enter Windows Recovery.

Once you are in Windows Recovery:

Click Troubleshoot > Click Advanced Options > Click Startup Settings > Click Restart and follow the prompt to Enable Safe mode with Network.

Once you have successfully login to Safemode, restart the PC normally and try to login again.

Let me know how it goes and I hope that helps.

Bernard

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply. When I try to sign in using safe mode, it says I need to install an app for this task and asks if I want to search for it in the Store. I’d I select Yes, the prompt goes away but when I click sign in, the same prompt comes up. If I click No, same result. How am I supposed to search for an app in the store if I can’t sign into the computer?? Or how do I get around this new issue?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, thanks for replying, in that case, we need to run a custom installation to fix the issue, however, the process will delete all apps but will retain all files on the PC, if you are okay with that, you may follow the steps provided below:

We need another PC and a USB drive (At least 8GB and make sure there is no files inside as it will reformat the USB) once you have that kindly follow the steps:

Step 1: Create Windows 10 installation Media

Go to this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Scroll down and click "Download Tool Now" then run the Media creation tool (the downloaded file)

If you agree to the license terms, select Accept.

On What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC and then select Next.

Select the language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) for Windows 10. This table will help you decide which edition of Windows 10 you’ll choose:

On Select which media you want to use click USB and save it to your USB drive.

Step 2: Do the custom installation

Once you have done creating bootable media, kindly follow the steps from number 3 to last from this link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/120352-cust...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2023 Views 29 Applies to: