Cannot get directions without an Internet connection with offline maps downloaded?

We've been seeing some feedback indicating that the Windows 10 Maps app cannot provide directions without an Internet connection even when you have downloaded the offline maps for the area.

This should be working without problems in the latest version of the app for driving and walking directions (transit directions are only available online). If you're still hitting this problem please let us know on this thread so we can investigate further.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

what is this? More details/link?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

what is this? More details/link?

It's notification from Microsoft that they believe they've addressed some problem reports from users of Windows 10 Maps. They're asking for any reports about where this is still playing up even with the updated versions of Windows 10 Maps? No links are needed because Microsoft believe Maps is now behaving itself in this regard. There, is that clear? If not, what else do you need to know (specifically) and why?

FWIW Analy, THIS functionality works as expected with the British offline map installed based on my albeit limited driving and walking directional assistance needs!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your explanation and confirmation that it works Flying Kiwi!
- Analy
Principal Program Manager Lead @ Microsoft

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Analy

I'm having to report this problem is happening to me now.

I am using a Lenovo Miix 3 tablet (with keyboard).

I have updated to Windows 10 Home Version 1703  OS Build  15063.296

If online then everything is fine.

If offline trying to recreate the same directions the following occurs.

Select the destination and a message appears "Try connecting to the Internet. To get directions while you're offline, download a map of the area in Settings."

Thanks for your help

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Analy,

This time I must agree with David, in that I'm getting exactly the same issue he reports when I turn off my Internet Connection. All the same build/version numbers (ie the latest and supposedly greatest of everything). This happens with both my HP Stream 8 tablet and also my Microsoft Lumia 950 phone (which has Build 15063.297 on the latter). The map I have installed onto each device (directly on the device and not to its memory card) is the full UK one at 422 MB (although historically I think this was once over 600 MB... can you please check this as overly slimming down the maps contents would definitely explain this behaviour).

FWIW I've also noticed on my Stream 8, that when opening up the map app initially with the internet disconnected, no streets are shown at all. As soon as I switch on WiFi (or Mobile) data connection and an internet connection is established, the streets magically appear. These issues never previously occurred on either of these devices so there's definitely something 'new' to blame and my first port of call would be to check the changes to the UK Map (I don't know what map David is using though).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to clarify.

I had used the full UK map initially but deleted it when having the problem.

I subsequently downloaded both the England and Portugal maps.

The problem occurs with all 3 maps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had my phpne updated to build 15063 last week and noticed this issue. Prior to the update my maps application worked flawlessly both on and off line. If I was using offline then, so long as I had previously downloaded the relevant map, I could zoom in to get all the data information I needed.

Now following the update, and if offline, the fine street detail is missing even though I have downloaded the map for the area I want. Go back online and the information loads. It is though a "level" is missing in the downloaded map.

I also note that before the update the UK map was over 600mB and now, after the update, it is 422mB so something is missing.

This is now also happening on my partners phone as hers was updated over the weekend.

Please please microsoft resolve the issue as maps is critical to me in my day to day travels when I dont always get an internet connection.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 22, 2023 Views 297 Applies to: