Cannot Boot Windows 10 + Windows Product Key Help

I would like to ask if there is someone that could help me since i have no idea what to do. 

A few days ago I left my laptop running while I went to get some food. I was gone for approximately 45 minutes and when I returned my laptop showed the "Blue screen of death". It was stuck in a loop so I tried some possible solutions but nothing seemed to work.  I shut down the laptop since I wanted to try and back up my files first before doing anything more complex but i couldn't do it right then since I was not at home. I suspect that while I was gone Windows tried to update but since the place I was at had a bad wifi connection it did not update correctly. Once I returned home I started it up and I was presented with the "Start-up Repair couldn't repair your PC" screen instead  of "Blue screen of death" which prevented me to boot into the Windows. I googled and searched many solutions but nothing worked. All I managed to do is to backup some of the files using EaseUS Todo. I shut the laptop down for the night and when I started it up again the next morning this time I was presented with "Recovery - your PC/Device needs to be repaired" (Error 0xc0000225). I spend another day searching and trying to repair it but nothing worked.

Important: I'm trying to resolve this issue with none or at least minimal loss of data and files since I did not manage to back up most of them.

Also If someone knows a way to backup files from ProgramFiles and Appdata without booting into Windows please let me know. If I could backup from there I could just do clean reinstall of Windows.

EDIT: I found out that I can Backup files from ProgramFiles (Did not test the AppData yet) using Command Prompt and Notepad but the Notepad froze after I tried to copy some files onto my external hard drive. Can anyone recommend If it is safe to hard-shut down in this case? 

EDIT2: I managed to unfreeze the Notepad and copy the files from the ProgramFiles. Now I only need to back up AppData. Is it possible in any way?

EDIT3: I have successfully backed the rest of the files using xcopy command in CommandPrompt. Now I need to resolve the Product Key issue. 

Does anybody know If I'll need to use my Windows product key after doind custom install of Windows? My problem is that I bought the laptop with the Windows preinstalled and thus I do not have the key and I have no idea how I would find it. I tried to use Command Prompt with the command wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey but that did not work. I got error Description = Not found. 

I read that If I choose the same language as there was installed before It will not ask for a Key but I do not know If I had English UK or English US. Is this true and If so is there a way to find out what language I have the WIndows installed as right now before the custom install?

Usefull information:

1. I have a MSI GT72S 6QE -208CZ laptop

2. It's running Windows 10 OS

3. It's 64bit
4. OS is installed on disk D:

5. I'm not able to boot into Windows or access Startup Settings including Safe Mode and Reset PC option

What I tried:

1. I tried to boot the Windows by using Windows Media Creation Tool and booting the Windows from a USB but all it accomplished is that I get the "Start-up Repair couldn't repair your PC" screen instead of the "Recovery - your PC/Device needs to be repaired" screen.

2. I tried to use System Restore. I found an automatic restore point from only a few days prior to the error and System restore point from a two weeks prior. When I tried to select the disks in either of them it said this: You must enable system protection on this drive. I found a solution for this and ran a Rstrui.exe /offline:C:\windows=active command using Command Prompt and that allowed me to access the disks and run a System Restore. However, after a few seconds I get the error saying that the System Restore did not complete successfully. An unspecified error occured. (0x80070003). I did not find any possible solution for this error without being able to boot the Windows.

3. Start-up Repair did not work.

4. I wanted to try Reset thic PC option with keep my files but I'm not able to access this option without booting the Windows.

5. I tried to restore registry from RegBack directory by accessing the \Windows\System32\config and renaming and copying the Secirity, Software, Default etc. from RegBack using Command Prompt

6. I tried to use the commands bootrec /fixmbr (successful), bootrec /fixmbr (access denied), bootrec /rebuildbcd (0 Windows Installations found) and bcdboot X:\Windows /s Y:

7. Tried chkdsk /r d: (and other disks) command

8. Tried to boot Safe Mode using command bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal 

9. I tried to using Diskpart, finding the system partion, assigning it a letter and then running commands cd /d b:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\, ren BCD BCD.bakbootrec /fixboot (access denied, I had to use bcdboot X:\Windows /s Y: for it to work) and bcdboot c:\Windows /l en-UK /s b: /f All  I'm not sure If I'm using the bcdboot X:\Windows /s Y: command correctly. I tried using it as bcdboot D:\Windows /s B: (D: being the disk where my OS is and B: being the letter I assigned to the System partion) or bcdboot E:\Windows /s B: (E: being the USB holding the OS and B: being the letter I assigned to the System partion)

What I have left:

1. Try to Go back to the previous build. I imagine that this option means that the system will revert to the previous update, only deleting files created and applications installed after the update.. But I'm not sure as to how far back that means.

2. Try to Update Windows from the USB with keep files option. I'm not sure If that is an option for me since I did not try to click Install from the menu, only Repair since I do not want to risk it completly reinstalling the Windows and deleting everything.

3. Windows Custom Installation. Again I'm not sure how much data and files will I lose doing this.

4. Clean Install with loading System restore afterwords. But I have a feeling that by doing clean install the System restore points will be deleted.

5. Finding a way to run Reset PC with keep files option. Probably one of the better options.

6. Finding a way around the (0x80070003) error and loading the System Restore point. Probably one of the better options.

7. Loading a System Image Recovery. The problem is that I made the Image a year ago and thus I would lose a lot of data.

Images of the errors:

Hello Monika,

It seems that you've already tried some of the workarounds that will help isolate this issue. I also understand that you don't want to perform any troubleshooting steps that will eventually delete all the files or personal data that are saved on your computer.

Given that information, what I can suggest is to perform a custom installation of Windows. Just make sure to select Install Windows and keep files, settings, and applications. You can visit this article posted by Andre Da Costa to know more details about it.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your advice.

I'm going to do that but I have one question.

Do you know If I'll need to use my Windows product key? My problem is that I bought the laptop with the Windows preinstalled and thus I do not have the key and I have no idea how I would find it. I tried to use Command Prompt with the command wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey but that did not work. I got error Description = Not found. 

I read that If I choose the same language as there was installed before It will not ask for a Key but I do not know If I had English UK or English US. Is this true and If so is there a way to find out what language I have the WIndows installed as right now before the custom install?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems I overlooked this thread, Monika. With regard to your concern, if you got Windows 10 by buying genuine from the Microsoft Store and successfully activated it, your activation method is thru digital license. Hence, it doesn't require you to enter a product key.

In case you'll get Product Activation issue and needs assistance about it, we suggest visiting this article posted by Andre Da Costa. He provided a step-by-step guide on how to get your product key.

Feel free to post back should you need further help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 4, 2023 Views 1,928 Applies to: