Cannot access Control Panel

I tried to run Control Panel and I get the error message "You must be an administrator to run this program". I only have one user account in my computer. Is there a way to 'reset' the permissions without having to re-install the OS?

Thank you.

Answer
Answer

Hi Kellyto,

Check if you are able to open the Control Panel module using the run command or not.

·         Click on Start

·         In the Start Search bar type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and check if the Program and Feature Windows from Control Panel opens.

You may also try to disable the security software temporarily and check if that helps resolves the issue.

Disable antivirus software

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Also, check if the same happens in a new user account. To create a new user account

1. To open User Accounts, click the Start button, click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, and then click User Accounts.

2. Click Manage another account. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click Create a new account.

4. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type, and then click Create Account.

If the new user account works fine then the previous account was corrupt, you may follow the link given below to fix the corrupt user profile.

Fix a corrupted user profile

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2023 Views 1,476 Applies to: