Can Windows 7 effectively run on Dell's Mini 10 Netbook?

I'm looking into buying a Dell Mini 10 Netbook. I've heard different opinions on how well Windows 7 will operate on Atom Processors. I was hoping to get advice on which version of Windows 7 to buy for that particular netbook. I wanted to buy Windows 7 Home Premium and also was wondering if I do decide to install 7 on the Mini 10 should I use a 32 or 64-bit OS for the best performance?

Here is some information about the netbook I want to buy. I hope I've included enough info to get an accurate answer..If not please let me know what I missed.

Current OS - Ubuntu 8.04
Processor   - Intel Atom Z530 (1.6GHz)
Memory     - 2GB DDR2
Hard Drive  - 250GB 5,400RPM
Video Card - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 500
Answer
Answer
To answer your first set of questions:
Will I notice any differance between Home Premium 32 bit or 64 bit?

Interface wise, nothing, but under the hood they are a little different when it comes to capabilities. Windows 7 x64 has additional security capabilities such as Patch Guard which protects the Windows kernel from being patched by certain types of programs (not that it makes the 32 bit version any less secure), device driver signing is required under Windows 7 x64, greater boost in performance when used with 4 GBs or more RAM. You are honestly not gonna see a significant boost running Windows 7 x64 with 2 GBs of RAM.

Is there any real differance on a netbook?

Well, its performance efficient on Netbook form factors compared to Windows Vista. Improvements such as smaller disk foot print, memory foot print. Better performance in areas such as bootup, shutdown and resume from sleep/hibernation. Integrated support for wireless networks such as 3G, the Windows 7 interface is more convenient on small screen devices such as Netbooks with 10 inch screens. You could look at other technical areas such as how Windows 7 handles battery life, Windows 7 reduces background activities when not needed, display brightness is reduced after a period of inactivity, you can wake on LAN to a wireless network, this can only be done over wired networks in Vista/XP and other power efficiency features.

Can I still keep Ubuntu as a secondary OS?

Yes you can.
How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first
Windows 7 overall is a better product than Windows XP on Netbooks, it opens up new opportunities and new efficiencies. Microsoft has worked really hard on the end to end experiences and a think a lot of users including yourself will be pleased with it.
Andre Da Costa http://adacosta.spaces.live.com http://www.activewin.com
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 13, 2024 Views 25,415 Applies to: