can not type in password on login screen Win 10 desktop

keyboard has been working  but suddenly last night and since,  can not type in my login details - nothing appears in the box when I type but I can type the characters when the challenge phrase A1B2C3 is required.   Using screen keyboard did not work either.  Have tried restart and windows repair - no success also tried removing quality update which it did but still the same problem.

Tried system restore but only offered one restore point for 11/03 

As I can not get into the machine I can not create a new user/admin password unless another way

Not IT tech person so need basic instructions of how to fix please Thanks in advance 

Having the same problem;  numerical keys work but alpha keys are

Unresponsive. Cannot enter PIN to login to my Dell laptop (Windows 10). 

Previously engaged face recognition, which was working, but now defaults to “Your PIN is required to sign in”.

Tried turning number lock on/off with no success. 

Anyone know how to fix this??

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, jimh_sup
How are you? Welcome to the Microsoft community!
My name is Juliana, I'm an independent advisor, I'm here to help you in the best possible way.

Have you tried using the virtual keyboard? most cases solve the entry with the virtual keyboard, try and tell me if you managed

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Juliana, I have tried the virtual keyboard which I presume is the same as the easy access screen keyboard.  It would not allow me to type in my password i.e. no characters would show but when I had to enter the challenge password A1B2C3 the characters typed in ok but when the screen log in appeared again to type my password no characters would appear.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Right now I suggest that you follow the steps below in order to solve the problem. Esatava looking here have others with the same situation :(

Step 1
Downloading Windows 10 Authoring Tool
To download the tool and create a boot disk, use the link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
When downloading, accept the License Terms, after clicking on the option Create installation media for another computer.
Disable the option Use the recommended options for this computer and proceed, after selecting:
• English language.
• Edition: (Select your System Edition) - If it is Windows 10 Home or Professional, select Windows 10, being Windows 10 Home Single Language, choose Windows 10 Home Single Language.
• Processor architecture: 32-bit or 64-bit
There are 02 options to Download Windows 10
Flash drive (Pendrive): Before selecting this option, format the Pendrive.
ISO file (Burn to DVD): Upon completion, software that burns DVD will be required.
After you have the Windows 10 Media or Pendrive, follow the next procedure.
1. Insert the DVD or USB drive with Windows 10 installation.
2. Make the device boot through it (if you do not know how, check in the equipment manual how to change the boot order to start from the DVD or Pen drive, as you use it).
3. As soon as the Windows installation screen loads, click Next and the Repair button will be available.
To perform a System Restore
Select Troubleshooting> Advanced Options> System Restore, after checking for Previous Points, a date when your Operating System worked normally, thus performing a Restore.
Fix startup errors
Select Troubleshooting> Advanced Options> System Restore, and so wait until it is possibly fixed.
Reinstalling the System Keeping Files.
Select Troubleshooting> Restore your PC> Keep my files.

• Click Troubleshooting.
• Click Restore PC.
• Click Keep my files.

Wait for the installation to start and as soon as you finish it will be possible to correct errors in the System.
Note: We advise you to make a backup of your files on a mobile device as something like interruption of the update, lack of power, loss of signal from the internet, among others, may occur.

If it doesn't work, I suggest you look for the manufacturer or a technician you trust to analyze the damage caused to the physical parts.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for replyig in detail. In the end I took your advice and sought a local technician who solved the problem 

So thank you 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The first thing to check is whether the box is actually for a password or a pin number.  It may look like a password box but does it have in feint writing  'Pin' or similar.  If you try to type in a password in a box that is seeking a pin number it is likely that your password characters will not show as it requires numbers to be typed in.   

Puzzling though is why following a recent update on my computer, the box appearing required a pin number not a password.   The pin number had not been required for years but eventually I found the pin and it worked ok and computer is back to normal.   

This is not to my credit as I had to request the help of an IT technician to point this out to me!  I hope though it may save some else the frustration of not being able to access his/her computer.

45 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for pointing out that the problem was I needed to enter a PIN Vs a Password. As you correctly stated, only numerical values are accepted in the text box. Very much appreciated!!

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 14,377 Applies to: