Can not read Serial on Laptop Sticker to activate Windows 7

I can not activate Windows 7 because I can not read my serial number /activation code on my laptop.  I purchased this laptop directly from Lenovo and I have been the only owner of it. The code is authentic, just can't read it any longer.

I had to reinstall windows 7 with the backup disc lenovo provided and now I can not activate windows.

Is there any way that either Microsoft or Lenovo can recover this serial?

Answer
Answer

Option 1:

If the COA sticker is damaged, then you would need to use the recovery partition to reinstall Windows 7, this will exempt the need to use the product key to activate your Windows 7 installation.

Option 2:

If your recovery partition is not available or damaged, you should contact the manufacturer of your computer and request a recovery disc set you can use to reinstall Windows 7. They might charge a small shipping and handling fee. This will exempt the need to use the product key also.

Option 3:

If the neither options 1 or 2 is possible, then you need to invest in a new retail full version license.

Lenovo:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4HWSE3

Lenovo notebooks include a feature called the Lenovo OneKey Recovery button, which is used to boot into the Recovery Environment and reinstall Windows.

If that does not work, contact technical support http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do and request replacement disc

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

If you are using the Lenovo recovery disk set you should not have to enter a key. The manufacturer disk set includes the license key embedded in the files specifically issued to Lenovo. If the setup routine is asking for a key then it is not the correct disk set. Manufacturer loads are pre-authenticated using privileged licensing and do not require on line activation. 

Microsoft have no record of which COA license is issued to each computer, they are provide as a block to the manufacturer and they apply the label. In theory Lenovo should be able to match up which key was issued to that serial number but in practice few manufacturers will provide that information

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2020 Views 665 Applies to: