Can not install Patch for Mcafee using WIndows installer!

Last year i got  Mcafee VS Enterprise 8.5  with Patch 8.  And all was good until just yesterday.

I  had problems with an ms update and needed to reinstall the Mcafee software again!

But  iI can NOT reinstall  the PATCH8.MSP.   It was saying "THIS PATCH PACK AGE COULD NOT BE OPENED... etc etc"

I contacted Mcafee and they told me  that it was NOT  a problem with thier software as it was working before.  They told me that was a WARNING coming from the WINDOWS INSTALLER  and that it could be form a MS update... They suggest  to Install a newer version of the Windows Installer. 

I did just that  and now i get a different error when i try to install "Patch 8"

"Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows installer package ...etc etc."

I have windows XP  HOME EDITION with SP3. I appreciate any help ?!?!

Hi Dogrox,

Follow the steps listed in the article given below to fix this issue:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ihad tried both them steps  nothing worked..

Believe me i researched  this problem  before i posted my question to see if i could fix it on my own... and this was one of the pages i came up with!..  which didnt work! 

The problem is NOT when trying to REMOVE a progrm..  it is tryin to INSTALL A PATCH!.  Plus to to mention that i can install other programs   as i said i installed the  VSE with no problem.. just the patch i couldnt reinstall.. so this  obviously this fix on that page   does not pertain to my problem!

I also should have mentioned that part two of that page.. that i couldnt get through because  this is a XP stock system from HP that i got back in 2005..   so i didnt get any installation disk.   I have gotten a recovery There must be an easier way to go about this?! 

UPDATE... i was able to install PATCH 7 with NO PROBLEM... JUST NOW!!... But I still CAN NOT install  PATCH8  .. as i get  same error.... i dont  know if that makes any difference!..

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2018 Views 225 Applies to: