Can I use Windows 7 Product Key for Windows 10?

I have a product key for Windows 7 Home Premium on the back of my computer. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. I ran into some problems which caused me to reinstall Windows from a USB drive without being able to boot up Windows. Now, long story short my Windows is not activated anymore, and wanted to know if I can use it on Windows 10 Pro?

I looked up if I can use Windows 7 keys for Windows 10 and it said I can.

I tried entering the Product key I have on Windows 10 Pro and it did not work.

Do I need Windows 10 Home for it to work?

If so, can I change Windows editions without losing data?

Answer
Answer
Hi ADG248

Please provide a bit more detail . . .

When did you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, was that during the free upgrade period or lately?

When you upgraded to Windows 10, did that activate on your PC?

What edition (Home, Pro . . etc.) of WIndows 10 did you originally have installed, before you needed to re-install WIndows 10?

Typically, re-installing Windows 10 will not affect activation or licencing, so long as you re-install the exact same edition (Home, Pro . . etc) as was previously installed and activated . . .

Go to the Settings App (gear icon on your Start Menu), then form there, go to System - About

if the edition listed there does not match the previously installed edition of Windows 10, you will need to re-install the correct edition . . .

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 22, 2020 Views 388 Applies to: