Can i upgrade my netbook that has Windows 7 Starter with 2GB of memory?

2Gb memory upgrade

Hi 
I have an AO521 netbook 32-bit with win7 starter pre installed, amd athlon II 1.7GHz and 1Gb ddr3 memory. Ive upgraded it to win7 home premium. My question is, is it capable of upgrading its memory to 2 Gb or higher? I have a feeling its possible because I read it somewhere that the maximum ram with win7 home premium is 16Gb. I just want some confirmation from IT experts here pls. Im worried that I might mess it up coz my netbook was originally running with win7 Starter and its max ram is 2Gb. And also, what brand of memory would you recommend that is compatible with my Aspire one? Thanks.
Answer
Answer

Windows 7 32 bit Home Premium or any 32 bit version can only handle 3.5gb of ram. Windows 7 64 bit can handle more. You should only increase your memory to 3gb if it's possible.

As far as a recommendation for memory, you need to ask the manufacturer and get it from them so it is compatible with the memory you have now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
Trust me, your Netbook cannot support 16 GBs of RAM (also, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit is required to support that amount of memory). The max is probably 2 to 4 GBs depending on the brand and model. Also, Netbook memory modules tend to be soldered onto the motherboard, making it impossible to upgrade. As Charlie suggested its best you contact Acer to find out. You can also run the Crucial memory test find out what type of memory module is supported by your Netbook:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/
Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 28, 2020 Views 2,665 Applies to: