can I trade in Windows 11 home for Win 10 Pro?

Just received my new computer with Windows 11 home. It sucks! It looks like MS is trying to emulate Android. If I wanted a freaking android device I would have purchased a Chromebook! Android sucks, and emulating something that sucks also sucks!

Where to begin? Well the Start Menu is a good place to start, pun intended. I know every new change will have some **** about the change, but I actually thought the Win 10 start menu was OK. You could group what you wanted into separated sections, and still access seldom used programs. This new interface, everything bunched into one freaking mess, looks like my phone!! Actually, it is worse than my phone as the phone allows me to put several icons into a group. Is MS planning on fixing this bad idea?

Second is file explorer. Bring back the menu, and lose the attitude of "my way or the highway", many will choose the highway. When I select that a folder and sub-folder be displayed a certain way, I wish for that to remain, not switch back to what some idiot coder at MS thinks I want. I also like in Win 10 you could select 'Permanently Delete' and bypass the recycle bin.

Power options, why is an upgrade reducing my control? This is common throughout, things I had control of in Win 10 are now outside of my control. That sucks!

And it still puts desktop.ini files everywhere!

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Short answer, no.

But you can install Windows 10 Home on the device, and it will activate with the digital licens stored in the hardware.

If you need install-media for Windows 10:

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

An upgrade to Pro is available in the Store.

An open mind doesn't mean that information is coming and going without leaving an impression.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Yeah, I kind of figured that. A few questions on that, though, if I install Win 10 will I have to re-install everything, or will it just change the OS and leave my other stuff alone? Also, will I be able to change back when and if MS ever fixes this?

At this point I would have to vote windows 11 two thumbs down! So far the only thing I see better in Win 11 is when running multiple monitors, the windows remain on same monitor when sleeping or when you shut one monitor off.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You must clean install as it is a downgrade. Nothing kept.

After you may upgrade to Windows 11 anytime and keep everything if you choose so.

After an upgrade you have 10 days to go back to the prior version as the system temporarily keeps the files.

An open mind doesn't mean that information is coming and going without leaving an impression.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated April 28, 2023 Views 288 Applies to: